* sunsite groups /a special case
@ 1998-03-05 14:37 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-05 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

How is agent supposed to behave with groups that are subscribed through
the 'B' (foreign server) command?

On my set up I continue to be unable to access the 'ding' or 'w3' group
when unplugged.

When plugged, agent loads the messages with 'J u' but when unplugged, no
access.
Where as, all groups that are subscribed under the native nntp server
can be accessed when unplugged.

I have sent backtraces and message buffers to Lars so won't repeat it
here, only to show how the file structure is different for the foreign group.

  >  /home/reader/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/agent.lib:
At this point on the above 'native' serve there are an 'active' and a
'history' file.

  > /home/reader/News/agent/nntp/sunsite.auc.dk/agent.lib:
With the foreign group there is no 'active' file, only a 'history' file.

Foreign
Then the nesting is deeper on the foreign server:
/home/reader/News/agent/nntp/sunsite.auc.dk/nntp+sunsite/auc/dk:emacs/ding:

Native
 /home/reader/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/comp/emacs

It seems the agent server cannot be found in that structure.

Now here is another kicker.

If I do a 'g' command on one of the sunsite groups while agent is
'unplugged' with 'J j', but my modem is still connected, then gnus will
go on line and get the messages even though it is supposed to be
'unplugged'.  So I am looking at the 'unplugged' word in the mode line as
Gnus causually downloads from the internet.

In this case 'unplugged' = 'plugged'

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: sunsite groups /a special case
@ 1998-03-05 23:13 ` Francois Felix Ingrand
From: Francois Felix Ingrand @ 1998-03-05 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> How is agent supposed to behave with groups that are subscribed through
> the 'B' (foreign server) command?
>
> On my set up I continue to be unable to access the 'ding' or 'w3' group
> when unplugged.
>
> When plugged, agent loads the messages with 'J u' but when unplugged, no
> access.
> Where as, all groups that are subscribed under the native nntp server
> can be accessed when unplugged.
>
> I have sent backtraces and message buffers to Lars so won't repeat it
> here, only to show how the file structure is different for the foreign group.
>

>   >  /home/reader/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/agent.lib:
> At this point on the above 'native' serve there are an 'active' and a
> 'history' file.
>
>   > /home/reader/News/agent/nntp/sunsite.auc.dk/agent.lib:
> With the foreign group there is no 'active' file, only a 'history' file.
>
> Foreign
> Then the nesting is deeper on the foreign server:
> /home/reader/News/agent/nntp/sunsite.auc.dk/nntp+sunsite/auc/dk:emacs/ding:
>

> Native
>  /home/reader/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/comp/emacs
>
> It seems the agent server cannot be found in that structure.

Same pb here...  I believe (I hope) Lars has enough backtrace and examples to
fix this one for good.

Francois Felix INGRAND                       "Dieu est un fumeur de Havane."
Professional: http://www.laas.fr/~felix         mailto:felix@laas.fr
Personal: http://worldserver.oleane.com/felix   mailto:felix@dial.oleane.com