* reading mail and not news
@ 1997-04-19 13:58 Bryan Bartone
From: Bryan Bartone @ 1997-04-19 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi --

At work, I am using gnus to read mail only.  I used the method in the
FAQ.

One problem is that it takes a long time to load gnus, despite the
fact that it is reading from the mail spool.  The other problem is
that new mail is not showing up in the group buffer.  Every time I
start gnus, all the mail groups have an asterisk to the left of them,
and even though I know I've received mail, they still have the
asterisk.

What will fix this?

* Re: reading mail and not news
@ 1997-04-24 12:02 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-24 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bryan Bartone <bbartone@edgenet.net> writes:

> Every time I start gnus, all the mail groups have an asterisk to the
> left of them, and even though I know I've received mail, they still
> have the asterisk.
>
> What will fix this?

Add the mail backend to `gnus-secondary-select-methods'.

* Re: reading mail and not news
@ 1997-04-25 22:21   ` Bryan Bartone
From: Bryan Bartone @ 1997-04-25 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Bryan Bartone <bbartone@edgenet.net> writes:
>> Every time I start gnus, all the mail groups have an asterisk to
>> the left of them, and even though I know I've received mail, they
>> still have the asterisk.
>>
>> What will fix this?

LMI> Add the mail backend to `gnus-secondary-select-methods'.

Thanks for the response, but I found it was related to another
problem.  Apparently, I had each of the mail groups created twice, but
subscribed to once.  I noticed this when I did a `LM', with 'mail' as
the argument.  Some of the groups were listed as 'mail.group-name'
while the mate was listed as 'nnml: mail.group-name'.  Is there some
way of preventing a user from creating duplicate groups?

* Re: reading mail and not news
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-27  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bryan Bartone <bbartone@edgenet.net> writes:

> Thanks for the response, but I found it was related to another
> problem.  Apparently, I had each of the mail groups created twice, but
> subscribed to once.  I noticed this when I did a `LM', with 'mail' as
> the argument.  Some of the groups were listed as 'mail.group-name'
> while the mate was listed as 'nnml: mail.group-name'.  Is there some
> way of preventing a user from creating duplicate groups?

This shouldn't happen.  Perhaps you've changed the mail server from
primary to secondary or something like that?