From: Barry Fishman <barry_fishman@att.net>
Subject: Re: Old news keeps coming back.
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:46:13 -0400	[thread overview]

> Barry Fishman <barry_fishman@att.net> writes:
>
>> Using the CVS version of GNUS I find that when I read news offline,
>> exit news (normally) and come back later, read new news, and go
>> offline, I find the messages I have read are listed again as if they
>> were not seen.
>
> Maybe you need to synchronize the marks changes when going online, now
> that nntp uses marks.
>
> What's the value of gnus-agent-synchronize-flags?
>
> I notice that the default value for that variable has changed
> recently, but I missed the discussion on that, can someone provide a
> pointer?

My gnus-agent-synchronize-flags value has its default value of nil.
Should I suppose that I need to set this to true.  When the agent
changes were first made, I think this was the case, and I found
my emacs would freeze up for a considerable amount of time as
these 'flags' where synchronized.

I can not find any discussion or documentation outsize of how it
applies to IMAP groups, where the server does have 'flag' information.
However, for those of us with just news groups and non IMAP mail,
there seems to be no information about what is to be accomplished by
the involved synchronization process that now seems to exist, or how
to avoid it.

--
Barry Fishman