* Nobody's interested in livejournal in gnus?
@ 2002-09-09 13:56 Jack Twilley
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-09-09 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Nobody's interested in livejournal in gnus?
@ 2002-09-09 14:10 ` Kai Großjohann
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-09 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> There wasn't a single response to my post -- maybe it didn't make it
> out there, or maybe nobody here uses livejournal or wants to use it
> within gnus.

I don't know what livejournal is, but your project seems cool.  If I
ever need to use livejournal, I'll be thankful...

kai

* Re: Nobody's interested in livejournal in gnus?
@ 2002-09-09 14:48 ` Michael Livshin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Livshin @ 2002-09-09 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> I no longer think nnslashdot is a good place to start, and I'm looking
> for suggestions.  There is already an elisp package called ljupdate
> that people use to update their journals so it can be done.

there are choices that depend on the amount of time you have and your
ambitions.

I know that Brad (lj's founder) is very open to the idea of an IMAP4
interface to the whole damn thing, for instance.  I know that if such
an interface existed, I for one would convert in a minute.

it wouldn't be Gnus-specific, too.

--
The software isn't finished until the last user is dead.

* Re: Nobody's interested in livejournal in gnus?
@ 2002-09-09 15:30 ` Bryan P Johnson
From: Bryan P Johnson @ 2002-09-09 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 6:56 AM -0700 9/9/02, Jack Twilley wrote:

>There wasn't a single response to my post -- maybe it didn't make it
>out there, or maybe nobody here uses livejournal or wants to use it
>within gnus.
>
>I think it'd be good to use all of the message tools to compose
>journal entries and comments as well as to use the superior
>newsreading tools in gnus to browse journals.  Does anyone agree?
>
>I no longer think nnslashdot is a good place to start, and I'm looking
>for suggestions.  There is already an elisp package called ljupdate
>that people use to update their journals so it can be done.
>
>Jack.

I'd defnitely be interested in it. But as an FYI, I've looked at the
lj protocol, and unfortunately at the moment all it allows are new
posts and edits of old posts, along with retrieval of things like
friends lists and friends groups and such. It has no way for you to
see comments made to a post, nor even a way to see how many have been
made. There is definitely no way to add comments.

Which means that one would have to parse web pages to enable that
functionality, and that is something that the lj_dev community
recommends against.  Not that that should stop you. :-)

BrYan

* Re: Nobody's interested in livejournal in gnus?
@ 2002-09-09 17:57   ` Calle Dybedahl
From: Calle Dybedahl @ 2002-09-09 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Which means that one would have to parse web pages to enable that
> functionality, and that is something that the lj_dev community
> recommends against.  Not that that should stop you. :-)

Or one could add the necessary functionality to the LiveJournal
XML-RPC interface. It *is* an open-source project, after all.
--
		    Calle Dybedahl <calle@lysator.liu.se>
     "I'd definitely like to see more rubber-clad literature in future."

* Re: Nobody's interested in livejournal in gnus?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-09-09 18:15 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2002-09-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There wasn't a single response to my post -- maybe it didn't
> make it out there, or maybe nobody here uses livejournal or
> wants to use it within gnus.

It occured to me back in August[0] that this would be tremendously
cool, but I don't know enough about Gnus backends to even start.
Personally, I think having an IMAP or NNTP interface on the server
side is the Right Thing to do in this case. But if you work on it,
I'll certainly accept ljupdate patches. :)

Ted

0. http://www.livejournal.com/talkread.bml?journal=ljupdate&itemid=13808

--
Edward O'Connor
ted@oconnor.cx

Really? Is Emacs 21 in the works? When will it be released? Where
can I get a pretest version??

                -- Eli Zaretskii, in gnu.emacs.help

* Re: Nobody's interested in livejournal in gnus?
@ 2002-09-10  8:26   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-10  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Edward O'Connor" <ted@oconnor.cx> writes:

> It occured to me back in August[0] that this would be tremendously
> cool, but I don't know enough about Gnus backends to even start.

Just start reading the documentation in the Gnus info file.  It's not
that hard, surprisingly.  IMHO, reading the source code of the other
backends is a difficult way to learn how to do it, as the source code
is, err, not optimized for readability.

kai

* Re: Nobody's interested in livejournal in gnus?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-12-29 17:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-29 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> There wasn't a single response to my post -- maybe it didn't make it
> out there, or maybe nobody here uses livejournal or wants to use it
> within gnus.

Well, I think it would be a nice thing to have, but it would probably
be as difficult as nnslashdot/nnultimate to keep updated if done by
using the normal parse-html-and-try-to-extract-some-information
method.  I think it would probably be more productive to try to open
up the LiveJournal protocols so that you can actually access the data
in a more sensible method.  Say, NNTP.  :-)