* Do nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent for nnimap?
@ 2002-10-05 22:41 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-05 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In principle, it should be possible to use
nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent for nnimap, too.  But there are some
issues, and I'm looking for ideas about them and about issues I
missed.

nnmail-cache-insert looks for the "primary mail backend" and only
inserts the group name without server name.  My idea was to extend
this mechanism to record which server the group is in.  Now the cache
lines are msg id, then tab, then group.  I could add another tab and
then the server.  That would make the format backward-compatible.  The
code would assume the primary mail backend for lines missing the
server.

I guess that nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent should somehow find out
the current backend and then ignore all the lines with the wrong
backend.  Right?  How would nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent find out
the current backend?  (Especially given that it might be called from
nnmail-split-methods as well as nnimap-split-rule!)

It would be really cool if ~/.nnmail-cache was stored on the server
somehow.  Is there a way to store data like this alongside IMAP mail
on a server?

Hm.  Actually I'm going to be really really really really busy
starting in a couple of days, so I'm afraid this might be no more
than some wishful thinking and day-dreaming :-|

kai