* Does nnmaildir support the T (trash) mark?
@ 2002-09-25 13:47 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-25 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found isync which might be useful for offline reading of IMAP.
(Though Gnus does have its own support for this.)  Does nnmaildir
support the T mark that isync needs?

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~me/isync/

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Does nnmaildir support the T (trash) mark?
@ 2002-09-25 15:20 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-09-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> I found isync which might be useful for offline reading of IMAP.
> (Though Gnus does have its own support for this.)  Does nnmaildir
> support the T mark that isync needs?

Not currently, and before reading about isync, I probably would have
mapped the T(rash) mark to the Gnus 'expire mark.  The maildir spec
says:
     * Flag "T" (trashed): the user has moved this message to the trash;
       the trash will be emptied by a later user action.
But isync wants the T mark to be set instead of the actual deletion of
the message; it will delete all T-marked messages, no matter how old
they are, so it won't correspond very well to 'expire.  isync assumes
a mail program that never empties the trash.  It's possible nnmaildir
might support that eventually, but it's too much of a special case to
be a high priority for me.

paul

* Re: Does nnmaildir support the T (trash) mark?
@ 2002-09-25 15:41   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-09-25 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>> I found isync which might be useful for offline reading of IMAP.
>> (Though Gnus does have its own support for this.)  Does nnmaildir
>> support the T mark that isync needs?
>
> Not currently, and before reading about isync, I probably would have
> mapped the T(rash) mark to the Gnus 'expire mark.  The maildir spec
> says:
>      * Flag "T" (trashed): the user has moved this message to the trash;
>        the trash will be emptied by a later user action.
> But isync wants the T mark to be set instead of the actual deletion of
> the message; it will delete all T-marked messages, no matter how old
> they are, so it won't correspond very well to 'expire.  isync assumes
> a mail program that never empties the trash.  It's possible nnmaildir
> might support that eventually, but it's too much of a special case to
> be a high priority for me.

Sounds like it maps well to IMAP's \Deleted which currently is simply
ignored by Gnus.  I wanted to map it to the expire mark too, but it
seemed too risky.  Perhaps nnmaildir can support it in the same way
nnimap does -- when an article is deleted they are marked with
\Deleted so they never show up in Gnus any longer.  For IMAP, all
\Deleted articles are removed when closing a group, but nnmaildir
could simply leave it marked as T.