* Other Gnus versions
@ 1999-12-02  5:39 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-02  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

*phew*  I've just read through all the stuff on gnu.emacs.gnus.  One
very intriguing thing that came up there was that there's more
versions of Gnus than I knew of.  :-)  Semi-gnus, T-gnus, Et-gnus,
nana-gnus and Chaos.  Now, I've done some web searches to find out
what it's all about, and I think I now understand.

There's a general MIME library called SEMI, and all the versions of
Gnus that work with SEMI are called collectively Semi-gnus.  The other
ones are different code names or release names for different Semi-gnus
releases or strains.  It's still unclear to me whether there exists
several different Semi-gnus versions at once, or if these are serial.
(You know, like Pterodactyl came after Quassia, and stuff.)

Anyway, I think it's pretty cool, and I like the names, especially the
last one.  :-)

* Re: Other Gnus versions
@ 1999-12-02  6:27 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 1999-12-02  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Lars> *phew* I've just read through all the stuff on gnu.emacs.gnus.
Lars> One very intriguing thing that came up there was that there's
Lars> more versions of Gnus than I knew of.  :-) Semi-gnus, T-gnus,
Lars> Et-gnus, nana-gnus and Chaos.  Now, I've done some web searches
Lars> to find out what it's all about, and I think I now understand.

Lars> There's a general MIME library called SEMI, and all the versions
Lars> of Gnus that work with SEMI are called collectively Semi-gnus.
Lars> The other ones are different code names or release names for
Lars> different Semi-gnus releases or strains.  It's still unclear to
Lars> me whether there exists several different Semi-gnus versions at
Lars> once, or if these are serial.  (You know, like Pterodactyl came
Lars> after Quassia, and stuff.)

Lars> Anyway, I think it's pretty cool, and I like the names,
Lars> especially the last one.  :-)

There are different development branches in Semi-gnusae.

t-gnus-6.13 (T-gnus)
  Public branch for Semi-gnus people.
  It is based on Pterodactyl Gnus (possibly Gnus 5.8).

keiich (Nana-gnus)
  Suzuki Keiich's personal branch. Based on Gnus 5.6.45.

chaos-1_13 (Chaos)
  Tomo's personal branch. Based on Gnus 5.6.45.

These are available from the chamonix open CVS server:

% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@chamonix.jaist.ac.jp:/hare/cvs/root login

CVS password: [CR] # NULL string

% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@chamonix.jaist.ac.jp:/hare/cvs/root \
	checkout -r t-gnus-6_13 gnus

Uh..., it is very hard for me to explain more about them in English.
Could anyone take on it?
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Other Gnus versions
@ 1999-12-02  8:36   ` 中治 弘行
From: 中治 弘行 @ 1999-12-02  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, semi-gnus-ja

I'm using T-gnus 6.13.

Lars> One very intriguing thing that came up there was that there's
Lars> more versions of Gnus than I knew of.  :-) Semi-gnus, T-gnus,
Lars> Et-gnus, nana-gnus and Chaos.  Now, I've done some web searches
Lars> to find out what it's all about, and I think I now understand.

Et-gnus is changed (merged?) to T-gnus. Is this Right?

YK> There are different development branches in Semi-gnusae.

This is cool but confusing. :)
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki

* Re: Other Gnus versions
@ 1999-12-02  8:46     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 1999-12-02  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

NAKAJI> Et-gnus is changed (merged?) to T-gnus. Is this Right?

Yes.  ET-gnus was experimental version of T-gnus.  The branch has been
closed at Aug 4 1999.
--

@ 1999-12-02 23:07   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-02 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> There are different development branches in Semi-gnusae.
>
> t-gnus-6.13 (T-gnus)
>   Public branch for Semi-gnus people.
>   It is based on Pterodactyl Gnus (possibly Gnus 5.8).
>
> keiich (Nana-gnus)
>   Suzuki Keiich's personal branch. Based on Gnus 5.6.45.
>
> chaos-1_13 (Chaos)
>   Tomo's personal branch. Based on Gnus 5.6.45.

Thanks; I've now mentioned this in the Gnus manual, as well as linked
to the Semi-gnus web pages from gnus.org.

> These are available from the chamonix open CVS server:

Neat.

My texi2dvi apparently isn't able to do Japanese text -- could
somebody make a Postscript version of the manual?  I'd really like to
have that on paper.  :-)

* Re: Other Gnus versions
@ 1999-12-02 23:42     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 1999-12-02 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

Oops, there were wrong tag names.

> There are different development branches in Semi-gnusae.
>
> t-gnus-6.13 (T-gnus)
 -> t-gnus-6_13

> keiich (Nana-gnus)
 -> keiichi

Lars> Thanks; I've now mentioned this in the Gnus manual, as well as
Lars> linked to the Semi-gnus web pages from gnus.org.

Cool.
--

@ 1999-12-02 23:54     ` Tatsuya Ichikawa
From: Tatsuya Ichikawa @ 1999-12-02 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Thanks; I've now mentioned this in the Gnus manual, as well as
Lars> linked to the Semi-gnus web pages from gnus.org.

  I think there are no OFFICIAL web page of Semi-gnus family.
  But there so many pages about Semi-gnus web page, but I think they are
  written in Japanese Only... I think.

--
  Tim Ichikawa <ichikawa@erc.epson.com>

* Re: Other Gnus versions
@ 1999-12-03  0:15       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-03  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tatsuya (Tim) Ichikawa <ichikawa@erc.epson.com> writes:

>   I think there are no OFFICIAL web page of Semi-gnus family.
>   But there so many pages about Semi-gnus web page, but I think they are
>   written in Japanese Only... I think.

Yeah.  I linked to
<URL:http://www.mdcnet.co.jp/~keiichi/semi-gnus.shtml>, which seems to
link to a bunch of other Semi-gnus-related pages.  If some other page
would be more suitable, I'll link to that instead.