* Incoming* turds?
@ 1999-10-12 20:03 Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-10-12 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hope this hasn't been discussed to death; I just resubscribed after an
absence (due to email issues :-/).

My disk got full this morning and while cleaning up I discovered my
~/Mail directory had 2,300+ Incoming* files, dating from earlier this
summer when I first installed pgnus.

I've upgraded to pgnus 0.97 and I still get these, one for each nnfolder
archive I have that has mail whenever I do a "g".  They look like a
temporary file containing the contents of the spool file.

Emacs 20.4, pgnus 0.97, Solaris 2.5.1.
I use procmail to split my incoming mail into various spools, then
nnfolder to read them.

Thoughts on where to look?  Is some hook function returning improperly
such that the message retrieval isn't cleaning up?  Or is this a known
bug?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development

* Re: Incoming* turds?
@ 1999-10-12 20:23 ` Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 1999-10-12 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paul D. Smith" <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> writes:

> My disk got full this morning and while cleaning up I discovered my
> ~/Mail directory had 2,300+ Incoming* files, dating from earlier this
> summer when I first installed pgnus.

That's because pgnus is alpha software and hence could potentially do
nasty things to your mail. This saving raw copies of your mail is a
safeguard against bad things happening.

> Thoughts on where to look?

I tried M-x apropos RET incoming RET
It gave, as its first entry the promising-sounding
`mail-source-delete-incoming'

but if I were you, I'd leave it as it is and periodically delete these
files when they become too hoggy of disk. I've never suffered mail loss
with a pgnus, but you never know...

* Re: Incoming* turds?
@ 1999-10-12 21:23   ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-10-12 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

%% Paul Stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:

  ps> "Paul D. Smith" <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> writes:

  >> My disk got full this morning and while cleaning up I discovered my
  >> ~/Mail directory had 2,300+ Incoming* files, dating from earlier this
  >> summer when I first installed pgnus.

  ps> That's because pgnus is alpha software and hence could potentially do
  ps> nasty things to your mail. This saving raw copies of your mail is a
  ps> safeguard against bad things happening.

OK... I don't have any good ideas about how, but it would have been nice
to know it was going to do that so I could have deleted them sooner.

I only use Gnus to read mailing lists and, well, if I miss a mail here
and there on those it's no big deal :).

  >> Thoughts on where to look?

  ps> I tried M-x apropos RET incoming RET
  ps> It gave, as its first entry the promising-sounding
  ps> `mail-source-delete-incoming'

I saw that, but the help isn't very descriptive.  I thought it
controlled whether or not the mail was left in the spool file after
copying or not.

Anyway, thanks!

@ 1999-10-13  0:02     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-10-13  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and