From: Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru>
Subject: !! 0.95: very strange behavior.
Date: 08 Sep 1999 23:49:00 +0400	[thread overview]

Hi,

i use nnmbox backend to receive my mail. today i received some mails
into my mail spool file. i've run `mail' to read mails (because my
mbox is big, and i wanted to read mail quickly). Emacs and gnus were
running at that time. i exited `mail' with `x' (leaving the spool file
as is). then, after some time, i've ran `mail' again, and --- surprize
--- it showed that my spool file is empty! i did not use gnus between
running `mail'. i then pressed `g' in gnus, having last hope that my
mail was not lost, but gnus did not show any new mail!

before giving up, i've scanned recursively files in my homedir for the
subject of one of mails (which i could still see in the xterm window
after running `mail'). and... i found new mails in the ~/Mail/mail/
directory and it's subdirectories (e.g. my private mail was in
~/Mail/mail/misc/). So, gnus somehow without my ask, silently received
my mail into nnml backend. I'm not even `subscribed' to those nnml
groups (i read nnmbox ones, as i said), so this is very confusing.

The same thing with mail `disappearing' happened some days ago, and i
found those mails in ~/Mail/mail/, too.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Why does gnus scan my
spool file without a `g' command (gnus-group-get-new-news), and why
does it ignore splitting rules that say to use nnmbox backend?

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.
--
Girls are better looking in snowstorms.
		-- Archie Goodwin