From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: MIME-PGP
Date: 09 Jul 1999 18:51:27 +0200	[thread overview]

Florian Weimer <fw@s.netic.de> writes:

> If verification is done during the display phase, the format of the MIME
> handles has to be modified to contain information on how to obtain the
> raw message data.  I don't know how feasible this is.

It's no problem -- I'll just add a `mm-handle-raw-content' accessor,
and store the raw contents where they can be got at.

> I see.  In addition, it might be a good idea letting the user decide when
> he wants to decrypt the message (i.e. when nobody is watching him ;).
> In contrast to verification, decryption doesn't need the raw message
> data, which means that the representation of the MIME handles doesn't
> have to be changed.

Right.

> But this will only work if the part has already been encoded as
> quoted-printable.  It might well happen that Gnus has chosen to use
> 7-bit encoding (because it doesn't contain any strange characters),
> so it would be necessary to recode the part as quoted-printable first
> and then do the "\nFrom " translation.
>
> A related problem is that RFC 2015 forbids to use 8-bit or binary
> encoding (because parts might get mangled by MTAs, which would be
> deadly for the signature) and I haven't found a way to efficiently
> disable these encodings.

I would imagine that we would add some encoding handlers for MIME
encryption that would force mml to encode using qp, no matter what.
There's no such thing in there yet, but I don't think it would be
difficult to add stuff like that.