* 5.6.4/slow load/notes on nnkiboze
@ 1998-04-01  5:36 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-01  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject: Gnus-5.6.4/load time& notes on nnkiboze
Newsgroups: emacs.ding
Gcc: nnml:out

Any one else noticing a marked increase in time it takes to load gnus
with 5.6.4?  I get the 'loading agent' sign for about 26 seconds.
Previous version 5.6.2 was less than half that maybe, 8-10 seconds.

No changes in .gnus or .emacs.

I have also found that if either of these lines:
 (setq gnus-read-active-file nil)
 (set-variable (quote gnus-read-active-file) nil)

Is active in .gnus then gnus will not start and throws this backtrace:

Signaling: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "nil")
  require(nil)
  gnus-server-opened((nil ""))
  gnus-activate-group("nntp+news.silcom.com:comp.unix.admin" scan)
  gnus-get-unread-articles(nil)
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)
8< snip (byte code snipped)
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
* call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

I have had the line  "(setq gnus-read-active-file nil)" in .gnus through
several releases but now gnus will not start with it in there.

Work has been done on nnkiboze in this release and I understand more has
been done in the unreleased 5.6.5.

My experiences with nnkiboze have been a less than satisfactory.  I
have noticed some bugs and have sent reports on them.  In brief here is
what I am seeing:

create a test kiboze group
Run it against a single nntp group with an easy assignment to find in
subject line.
run M-x nnkiboze-generate-groups
Full nntp read takes place
Kibo finds 10 articles filling the bill.  Good show

Now try to do some real work:
Create another kiboze group
assign it to four of the emacs groups
give it a regex against the body of 'print\|printing'
run M-x nnkiboze-generate-groups
full nntp read
kibo find 35 articles but when I attempt to access them gnus won't let
me.  And says:
  > Signaling: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  >   nnkiboze-request-article(1 "bibo" "^comp\\.emacs$\\|^comp\\.emacs
  > \\.xemacs$\\|^gnu\\.emacs\\.gnus$\\|^gnu\\.emacs\\.help$" nil)
  >   gnus-request-article(1 "nnkiboze:bibo")
  >   gnus-score-body((((touched nil) ("body" ...))) "body" 729479 729472 nil)
  >   gnus-score-headers(("/home/reader/News/nnkiboze:bibo.SCORE") nil)
  >   gnus-possibly-score-headers()
  >   gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnkiboze:bibo" nil t nil nil)
  >   gnus-summary-read-group("nnkiboze:bibo" nil t nil nil)
  >   gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  >   gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  > * call-interactively(gnus-group-select-group)

Then I notice that bibo has also put thirtyfive new articles in the
previous kibo group that is supposed to be looking for something else.
And there are the articles that contain the regex 'print\|printing'
In the wrong kiboze group.

Two major complaints (aside from the obvious one)
1) The regex used to guide kiboze to which groups to search is stored in
the .newsrc.eld file (after saving happens) making it  difficult to edit
since .newsrc.eld is confusing as hell anyway and not a file you want to
tromp around in.

2) I couldn't seem to run kiboze sucessfully in agent mode unplugged.
Which would be by far the best place to run it because the postings are
on disk and can be searched much more quickly.

It seem to be working but when the search is over gnus won't let me
access anything until I get plugged again, and then can't access the
kiboze group anyway.

What have other peoples experience been with kiboze?

--

Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-04-01  5:36 UTC | newest]