From: Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: Problem saving attachment with latest CVS HEAD Gnus
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:48:15 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Katsumi,

First of all, let me thank you for the prompt response you gave the
issue, even to the point of getting and installing SXEmacs to attempt
to reproduce it.

"Katsumi" == Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>  escreveu:

  >>> How does the most recent trunk work?

  >> This does appear to work fine now.  I'm again able to save and
  >> view all attachments using the CVS head.

  >> Thanks!

  Katsumi> Thanks for verifying.

Sorry for the delay in verifying. The changes in CVS head do indeed
solve the issue on the afflicted version of SXEmacs.

  Katsumi> I'd like to know the cause to produce such an obstacle.  Does
  Katsumi> anyone know what kind of string or what situation breaks STRING
  Katsumi> by the following expression in XEmacs?

  Katsumi> (mapconcat 'char-to-string "STRING" "")

We (SXEmacs team) did manage to reproduce it with this little snippet,

(let ((str (make-string 1600000 ?x)))
  (mapconcat #'(lambda (el) el) str ""))

The issue as we traced it, has to do with the available amount of stack
available for the alloca calls that are made in mapconcat, which for a
1.6 MB string is strenous :)

We fixed this in SXEmacs in
steve@sxemacs.org--2006/sxemacs--main--22.1.6--patch-120 and we will
forward the patch to the XEmacs folks.

We tested the previous Gnus version with the fixed SXEmacs and all
worked fine. It will of course, as you expected previously, take a
little longer.

Best regards,

     Nelson

--