* Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-16 12:09 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-12-16 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm noticing a problem where one server.  A `foreign' server,
news.gmane.org does not keep the `agentized' status between full
restarts.

Open the server buffer with `^', the run `J a' on gmane server. The
word `agent' appears to the right of server line.  Close server
buffer then reopen server buffer.... `agent' flag is still there.

But if I stop gnus and then emacs.  Restart, and gmane server shows
up with no `agent' flag.

* Re: Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-16 14:32 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-12-16 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm noticing a problem where one server.  A `foreign' server,
> news.gmane.org does not keep the `agentized' status between full
> restarts.
>
> Open the server buffer with `^', the run `J a' on gmane server. The
> word `agent' appears to the right of server line.  Close server
> buffer then reopen server buffer.... `agent' flag is still there.
>
> But if I stop gnus and then emacs.  Restart, and gmane server shows
> up with no `agent' flag.

Open agent/lib/servers.  Does it contain a list of server names or a
list of server methods?  If the answer is methods, upgrade to CVS.  If
it is a list of strings, I'd like to hear more about how you
configured this foreign server.

Kevin

* Re: Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-17  2:52   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-12-17  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

>> I'm noticing a problem where one server.  A `foreign' server,
>> news.gmane.org does not keep the `agentized' status between full
>> restarts.
>>
>> Open the server buffer with `^', the run `J a' on gmane server. The
>> word `agent' appears to the right of server line.  Close server
>> buffer then reopen server buffer.... `agent' flag is still there.
>>
>> But if I stop gnus and then emacs.  Restart, and gmane server shows
>> up with no `agent' flag.
>
> Open agent/lib/servers.  Does it contain a list of server names or a
> list of server methods?  If the answer is methods, upgrade to CVS.  If
> it is a list of strings, I'd like to hear more about how you
> configured this foreign server.

Well it has one server name looks like this:

  cat servers
  ("nntp:news.gmane.org" "native")

And the current session is a restart so the agent flag is absent on
gmane in server buffer.

  Server Buffer:
     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)
     {nndir:/home/reader/Mail/prinb} (opened)
     {nndir:/anex/mail.bk} (opened)
     {nnml:} (opened)
     {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened) (agent)

However as you see, the agent flag is present on the only other nntp
server enews.newsguy.com and it isn't mentioned at all in News/**/server
directory.

Newsguy is there from `select method' in gnus:
   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "enews.newsguy.com"))

Gmane was selectd using the B (foreign server) command in Group
buffer long ago.  However marking it as agentized in server buffer
will not stick thru a restart.

I'm going to cvs update now.  Will report back if things still seem screwy

* Re: Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-17 16:32     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-12-17 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Open agent/lib/servers.  Does it contain a list of server names or a
>> list of server methods?  If the answer is methods, upgrade to CVS.  If
>> it is a list of strings, I'd like to hear more about how you
>> configured this foreign server.
>
> Well it has one server name looks like this:
>
>   cat servers
>   ("nntp:news.gmane.org" "native")
>
> And the current session is a restart so the agent flag is absent on
> gmane in server buffer.
>
>   Server Buffer:
>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>      {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)
>      {nndir:/home/reader/Mail/prinb} (opened)
>      {nndir:/anex/mail.bk} (opened)
>      {nnml:} (opened)
>      {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened) (agent)
>
> However as you see, the agent flag is present on the only other nntp
> server enews.newsguy.com and it isn't mentioned at all in News/**/server
> directory.
>
> Newsguy is there from `select method' in gnus:
>    (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "enews.newsguy.com"))
>
> Gmane was selectd using the B (foreign server) command in Group
> buffer long ago.  However marking it as agentized in server buffer
> will not stick thru a restart.
>
> I'm going to cvs update now.  Will report back if things still seem screwy

After cvs update... now running the latest as of yesterday.
I see the same phenomena.   Setting the agentized mark (J a) on a
foreign server ( selected by pressing `B' on group buffer) and
`agentt' appears on the right of server line but after a restart it
is gone.

  Server buffer:
     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)
     {nndir:/home/reader/Mail/prinb} (opened)
     {nndir:/anex/mail.bk} (opened)
     {nnml:} (opened)
     {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened) (agent)

    cat News/agent/lib/servers
   ("nntp:news.gmane.org" "native")

* Re: Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-18  7:00 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-12-18  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> disait récemment que :

> I'm noticing a problem where one server.  A `foreign' server,
> news.gmane.org does not keep the `agentized' status between full
> restarts.

Huh ? I have also faced this problem a few time ago but I can't
remember how did I fix it ;)

> Open the server buffer with `^', the run `J a' on gmane server. The
> word `agent' appears to the right of server line.  Close server
> buffer then reopen server buffer.... `agent' flag is still there.
>
> But if I stop gnus and then emacs.  Restart, and gmane server shows
> up with no `agent' flag.

Exactly the same behavior I have seen. Now it works perfectly but dunno
why and how.

I will try to look at my setup and see why it *does* work now.

zeDek
--
GNUSFR.ORG                       http://gnusfr.org/
EMACSFR.ORG                      http://emacsfr.org/

* Re: Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-18  7:03       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-12-18  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> disait récemment que :

>>> Open agent/lib/servers.  Does it contain a list of server names or a
>>> list of server methods?  If the answer is methods, upgrade to CVS.  If
>>> it is a list of strings, I'd like to hear more about how you
>>> configured this foreign server.
>>
>> Well it has one server name looks like this:
>>
>>   cat servers
>>   ("nntp:news.gmane.org" "native")
>>
>> And the current session is a restart so the agent flag is absent on
>> gmane in server buffer.
>>
>>   Server Buffer:
>>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>>      {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)
>>      {nndir:/home/reader/Mail/prinb} (opened)
>>      {nndir:/anex/mail.bk} (opened)
>>      {nnml:} (opened)
>>      {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened) (agent)
>>
>> However as you see, the agent flag is present on the only other nntp
>> server enews.newsguy.com and it isn't mentioned at all in News/**/server
>> directory.
>>
>> Newsguy is there from `select method' in gnus:
>>    (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "enews.newsguy.com"))
>>
>> Gmane was selectd using the B (foreign server) command in Group
>> buffer long ago.  However marking it as agentized in server buffer
>> will not stick thru a restart.
>>
>> I'm going to cvs update now.  Will report back if things still seem screwy
>
> After cvs update... now running the latest as of yesterday.
> I see the same phenomena.   Setting the agentized mark (J a) on a
> foreign server ( selected by pressing `B' on group buffer) and
> `agentt' appears on the right of server line but after a restart it
> is gone.
>
>   Server buffer:
>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>      {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)
>      {nndir:/home/reader/Mail/prinb} (opened)
>      {nndir:/anex/mail.bk} (opened)
>      {nnml:} (opened)
>      {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened) (agent)
>
>     cat News/agent/lib/servers
>    ("nntp:news.gmane.org" "native")

I am using a yesterday copy of Gnus cvs and all is working quite well
here. What's more nntp are *by default* agentized so I don't really
understand why for you it doesn't react that way.

Can you post your configuration or report a bug using the dedicated
function so we probably could see what is wrong ?

zeDek
--
Xavier Maillard
7 rue Jeanne Jugan, 51100 Reims, France

* Re: Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-19 14:17         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-12-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> I am using a yesterday copy of Gnus cvs and all is working quite well
> here. What's more nntp are *by default* agentized so I don't really
> understand why for you it doesn't react that way.
>
> Can you post your configuration or report a bug using the dedicated
> function so we probably could see what is wrong ?

I will post a recap but currently one of the developers is working on
this and I'm trying to assist.

One point though. Although the `agent' flag does not stay thru a
restart, agent behavior does continue.  That is.  If I press `g', the
groups on that server that are in my `true' category are downloaded
in agent fashion.

* FIXED: Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-22 21:10           ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-12-22 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
>> I am using a yesterday copy of Gnus cvs and all is working quite well
>> here. What's more nntp are *by default* agentized so I don't really
>> understand why for you it doesn't react that way.

The patch to fix this problem is now available via CVS.

Kevin

* Re: FIXED: Server loses `agent' status
@ 2003-12-24  0:02             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-12-24  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

>> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>>
>>> I am using a yesterday copy of Gnus cvs and all is working quite well
>>> here. What's more nntp are *by default* agentized so I don't really
>>> understand why for you it doesn't react that way.
>>>

> The patch to fix this problem is now available via CVS.

Thanks, I'm on the road and don't have the bandwidth to try it right
now but will next week.