* nnimap hangs on connect plus Garbage:
@ 2001-02-01 23:49 Mats Lidell
From: Mats Lidell @ 2001-02-01 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have been living with a problem for some time now. I once posted to
the list, got a reply from Simon with some hints on what to look for,
thanks, but other things got higher priority. So I didn't do
anything. Now I'm ready. ;-) Let's start again. What is the problem
you might ask?

When I start gnus it won't connect to the IMAP-server. It times out
after a while. Trying again gives the same result.

Fortunately there is a work around. When gnus waits for the connection
stop it with a few ^G, turn on nnimap-debug, or have it on from the
start, make *nnimap-debug* visible in a window and restart gnus. (It
is not enough to just put on nnimap-debug. The buffer must be
visible.) Then I'll get the connection. This seems like a rather odd
race situation when Emacs seems to be to fast and needs to be slowed
down. But then again there might just be some other problem.

The other problem is that I get an occasional "Garbage:" written in
the message log when Gnus is splitting the messages into folders. It
is just to start gnus again and the splitting continues, as it seems,
from where it stopped. I'm not aware of any problem, like lost mail,
due to this problem.

I'm running:
    emacs-version = "21.2  (beta43) \"Terspichore\" XEmacs Lucid"
    gnus-version = Oort Gnus v0.01
    imap-server = UW 2000.283
    nnimap-version = nnimap 0.131

But the actual versions doesn't seem to matter that much. I have seen
this for quite some versions of gnus, xemacs and I think also version
of UW-IMAP-servers.

Any clue?

Yours
--