From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Problem fetching parent article
Date: 21 Feb 2000 16:38:04 -0800	[thread overview]

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> Hmm...I just tried setting that value and I got the same behavior
> (can't fetch a parent news article even though I _know_ it hasn't
> expired yet).  On a whim, I tried running gnus (5.8.4) without any of
> my config files loaded and it's also exhibiting this weird behavior.
> Bug perhaps?  (No, never!... ;-)

Also running recent (3-4)days 5.8.4 but not having that trouble.

Make sure the message ID that is in ^References:  is the one you think
it is.

I opened comp.editors .. found a thread with several entries went to
the third or fourth marking the previous ones read.  hit "^" and
jumped back up the tree.  Closed then reopene "M-g" and found an as
yet unread message in the same thread and even though the already read
messages weren't loaded ... the "^" still jumped back up the tree as
expected.

Can't think what might be causing your problem.  Only examine the
References field closely to be sure what is being called.