* How to specify charset in message headers?
@ 1999-02-16  6:01 Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-02-16  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am sorry - this question looks like it should be in the docs
somewhere, but I could not find it. How can I specify a different
charset in my outgoing messages?  Currently I get 'Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1'. Depending on the group I'm in I'd
like to specify a Russian charset (win1251 as I'm under Windows). I
tried to use message-header-setup-hook but to no avail - I stil get
the same content type. Thanks.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* Re: How to specify charset in message headers?
@ 1999-02-19 16:12 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-19 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:

> I am sorry - this question looks like it should be in the docs
> somewhere, but I could not find it. How can I specify a different
> charset in my outgoing messages?  Currently I get 'Content-Type:
> text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1'. Depending on the group I'm in I'd
> like to specify a Russian charset (win1251 as I'm under Windows).

I know nothing about win1251, but I thought that koi8-r was the most
popular charset for cyrillic text?

Anyway, if you use a Mule-enabled XEmacs, this should work
automatically.  In a non-Mule XEmacs, you should say something like

(setq message-default-charset 'koi8-r)

* Re: How to specify charset in message headers?
@ 1999-02-19 20:22   ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-02-19 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:
>
> > I am sorry - this question looks like it should be in the docs
> > somewhere, but I could not find it. How can I specify a different
> > charset in my outgoing messages?  Currently I get 'Content-Type:
> > text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1'. Depending on the group I'm in I'd
> > like to specify a Russian charset (win1251 as I'm under Windows).
>
> I know nothing about win1251, but I thought that koi8-r was the most
> popular charset for cyrillic text?

It is. Unfortunately, under windows an MS-born win1251 is used, and
(at least in a non-mule emacs) it is much easier to use it (for
personal mail at least) instead of koi8-r. Or so I think...

> Anyway, if you use a Mule-enabled XEmacs, this should work
> automatically.  In a non-Mule XEmacs, you should say something like
>
> (setq message-default-charset 'koi8-r)

Thanks.

--
Cheers,