* Like `W w' but different?
@ 1999-01-26 16:05 Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-01-26 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to wrap only the long lines?

Suppose an article contains text like this:

,-----
| short line here
| this is a long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long line
`-----

`W w' will produce the following:

,-----
| short line here this is a long long long long long long long long
| long long long long long long long long long long line
`-----

The author probably meant this:

,-----
| short line here
| this is a long long long long long long long long long long long
| long long long long long long long line
`-----

Or even this (one more newline after a paragraph):

,-----
| short line here
|
| this is a long long long long long long long long long long long
| long long long long long long long line
`-----

tia,
kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: Like `W w' but different?
@ 1999-01-26 16:19 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-01-26 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there a way to wrap only the long lines?

Would have to rely on heuristics, since there isn't really any
information to go by.

The more you use heuristics the more spectacular it is when it breaks
down.

We have to be careful that we don't unintentionally emphasize stuff
the author had no though of emphasizing.  Eg. Netscape currently wraps
all outgoing stuff at 72 columns resulting in things like:

long long long long long long long long long long long long long long
long long
long long long long long long long long long long long long long long
long long long

or even worse when quoted:

@ 1999-01-26 16:58   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-01-26 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

  > > Is there a way to wrap only the long lines?
  >
  > Would have to rely on heuristics, since there isn't really any
  > information to go by.
  >
  > The more you use heuristics the more spectacular it is when it breaks
  > down.

Well, I was thinking of a command which I could use when I think that
this particular heuristics would produce something legible.  If the
heuristic didn't work, I just type `g' and try something else.
Where's the problem?

kai
--

@ 1999-01-26 17:07     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-01-26 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, I was thinking of a command which I could use when I think that
> this particular heuristics would produce something legible.  If the
> heuristic didn't work, I just type `g' and try something else.
> Where's the problem?

I wasn't saying it shouldn't be done.  I was just noting a common
construct the command should be able to recognize to be really
useful.

* Re: Like `W w' but different?
@ 1999-01-27  5:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-27  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Is there a way to wrap only the long lines?

I've now added the `W Q' command to 0.74 that does nothing but fill
the lines that are long.