From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: "Trying to require a method that doesn't exist"
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:24:41 GMT	[thread overview]

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > Signaling: (error "Trying to require a method that doesn't exist")
> >   signal(error ("Trying to require a method that doesn't exist"))
> >   error("Trying to require a method that doesn't exist")
> >   gnus-server-opened((nil ""))
>
>   Well isn't that the problem right there? `(nil "")'. There's no such
> method as `nil' and hence `gnus-get-function' issues the message. That
> should probably be `(nnml "")'. The select method for a group is held
> in the group's info, which is in (guess :-)), .newsrc.eld. You'll
> probably have to reset all your groups up again from scratch, or go
> edit the affected group's infos with a `G E'. If that's not it -
> what do your select-methods look like (parenthesis and all :-)).

Thanks Mike,
The same thing happened again today.  Stopping all use of gnus.

Your clues led me to find an improper entry in .newsrc.eld in the
section that holds the Group Information.  Begins with:
"(setq gnus-newsrc-alist ......"

One of the nnml group entries looks like this:
("nnml:mail.Barb" 3 ((1 . 1)) ((reply 1)) "nnml:")

Where as others have the proper form like so:
("nnml:mail.misc" 3 ((1 . 53) (57 . 57)) ((reply 53)) (nnml ""))

Notice the last part with "nnml" is formatted differently.

I changed the Barb group to:
("nnml:mail.Barb" 3 ((1 . 1)) ((reply 1)) (nnml ""))
And Gnus will start again.

But still haven't figured out what I am doing to cause the improper
format to show up every few days.

Seems it may be related to Group parameter settings.
Looking back I see each time it has occured it has involved a group
where I have set  some Group Params.  Mostly just "gcc-self" and
"to-address"

I don't see anything obvious there.

At least now I know what  to look for, and how to edit it.

Anyone have an idea what might be the underlying cause?

--
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Running Redhat Linux 5.1

.