* Clicking on From: address in attachment DTWT
@ 2010-10-18  9:02 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-10-18  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

When an email contains a forwarded email, clicking on the address in the
From: header of the attached mail creates a message buffer in which the
To: address is not, as I had hoped, the address is the attached From:
header but rather the address in the top From: header.  For example, in
the following:

----------
From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@bla.net>
Subject: Meeting Thu 10:00 - 12:00 (fwd)
To: <Mary.Jones@bla.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:58:33 +0200 (CEST)

[1. text/plain]

[2. Meeting Thu 10:00 - 12:00 (fwd) --- message/rfc822]

From: John Smith <John.Smith@bla.net>
Subject: Meeting Thu 10:00 - 12:00
To: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@bla.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 18:15:25 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Steve,

Bla bla bla.

Thanks,
John
----------

when I click on "John.Smith@bla.net" in the attached From: header, the
resulting message buffer's To: header contains "Stephen Berman
<stephen.berman@bla.net>" rather than "John Smith <John.Smith@bla.net>".

AFAICT, this is because message-reply narrows to the headers of the
containing email, ignoring the headers of the contained email.

Steve Berman

* Re: Clicking on From: address in attachment DTWT
@ 2010-10-18  9:21 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2010-10-18  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
<snip>
> when I click on "John.Smith@bla.net" in the attached From: header, the
> resulting message buffer's To: header contains "Stephen Berman
> <stephen.berman@bla.net>" rather than "John Smith <John.Smith@bla.net>".
>
> AFAICT, this is because message-reply narrows to the headers of the
> containing email, ignoring the headers of the contained email.
>
> Steve Berman

Are you sure that this isn't a customisation your end? My gnus here
seems to do the right thing... (Although it's about a week old, so I
guess it could be a recent change)

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 315 bytes --]

* Re: Clicking on From: address in attachment DTWT
@ 2010-10-18 11:53   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-10-18 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:21:24 +0100 Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
> <snip>
>> when I click on "John.Smith@bla.net" in the attached From: header, the
>> resulting message buffer's To: header contains "Stephen Berman
>> <stephen.berman@bla.net>" rather than "John Smith <John.Smith@bla.net>".
>>
>> AFAICT, this is because message-reply narrows to the headers of the
>> containing email, ignoring the headers of the contained email.
>>
>> Steve Berman
>
> Are you sure that this isn't a customisation your end?

I don't think so: when I start Emacs with -Q, type `M-x gnus', 'y' to
continue despite having no news server set up, get to the Group buffer,
type `G f' to visit a file as a foreign group, and that file contains a
mail with an attached mail as described in my OP, and then follow the
steps in my OP, I get the same results as I reported in my OP.
Moreover, stepping through message-reply with edebug, I don't see how
this can be otherwise.

>                                                        My gnus here
> seems to do the right thing... (Although it's about a week old, so I
> guess it could be a recent change)

Are you sure you don't have a customization that makes this possible?
Do you still see this with -Q, following the steps described above?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-18 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> I don't think so: when I start Emacs with -Q, type `M-x gnus', 'y' to
> continue despite having no news server set up, get to the Group buffer,
> type `G f' to visit a file as a foreign group, and that file contains a
> mail with an attached mail as described in my OP, and then follow the
> steps in my OP, I get the same results as I reported in my OP.
> Moreover, stepping through message-reply with edebug, I don't see how
> this can be otherwise.

Is `message-reply' called by hitting `RET' on a mail address in the
article buffer?  I'm not able to reproduce this.

* Re: Clicking on From: address in attachment DTWT
@ 2010-10-18 22:42       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-10-18 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:15:42 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I don't think so: when I start Emacs with -Q, type `M-x gnus', 'y' to
>> continue despite having no news server set up, get to the Group buffer,
>> type `G f' to visit a file as a foreign group, and that file contains a
>> mail with an attached mail as described in my OP, and then follow the
>> steps in my OP, I get the same results as I reported in my OP.
>> Moreover, stepping through message-reply with edebug, I don't see how
>> this can be otherwise.
>
> Is `message-reply' called by hitting `RET' on a mail address in the
> article buffer?  I'm not able to reproduce this.

Either by hitting RET or clicking on the address (mouse-1 or mouse-2).
The call path is gnus-widget-press-button -> gnus-article-press-button
-> gnus-button-reply -> message-reply.  It's not just any mail address
that triggers the problem, but one in the header of an attached
forwarded email.  I've attached an example, with which I can reproduce
the problem starting with -Q as described above.  Do you see the problem
with this mail?

Steve Berman

[-- Attachment #2: email with attached email --]

From Stephen.Berman@bla.net  Wed Sep  8 10:48:54 2010
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:46:11 +0200 (CEST)
From: Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@bla.net>
Subject: 17. 9. (fwd)
To: <john.smith@bla.net>

  This is a MIME encoded multipart message.

--+201009080846116509e8c700000d38-Stephen.Berman+

Bla bla bla

Steve

--+201009080846116509e8c700000d38-Stephen.Berman+

From: "John Smith" <john.smith@bla.net>
To: "Stephen Berman" <Stephen.Berman@bla.net>
Subject: 17. 9.
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 01:12:24 +0200

Dear Steve,

Bla bla bla.

John

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-18 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> I've attached an example, with which I can reproduce the problem
> starting with -Q as described above.  Do you see the problem with this
> mail?

Yup.  Pretty odd code there, but I think I've now fixed it, and it will
hopefully not have any bad side effects...

* Re: Clicking on From: address in attachment DTWT
@ 2010-10-19  9:40           ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-10-19  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 01:12:54 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I've attached an example, with which I can reproduce the problem
>> starting with -Q as described above.  Do you see the problem with this
>> mail?
>
> Yup.  Pretty odd code there, but I think I've now fixed it, and it will
> hopefully not have any bad side effects...

I confirm that clicking or hitting RET on the From: address in an
attachment now DTRT, and haven't noticed any problems yet.  Thanks!

Steve Berman