* Number of unread articles suddenly incorrect with Exchange 2007
@ 2010-10-13 13:42 Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2010-10-13 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

In the group buffer.  Groups on the cyrus server show accurate number of articles.  Groups on Exchange 2007 do not.  The number shown is typically 2 to 3 times bigger than actual, but sometimes it's even further off.  This is essentially a regression to behavior I saw before all the changes started a couple months ago.  It had been fixed until a git pull this morning; my previous pull was some time last week.

The IMAP conversation appears to be showing accurate numbers.  Here is a sample from the relevant *nnimap...* buffer.  This after doing M-g on one group to narrow it down, however similar results show after doing g:

* 449 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* FLAGS (%Seen %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Draft $MDNSent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (%Seen %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Draft $MDNSent)] Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 446] Is the first unseen message
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1899] UIDVALIDITY value
* OK [UIDNEXT 583070] The next unique identifier value
1414 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed.
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 581195)

[...] same thing for each UID

* 446 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 583066)
* 447 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 583067)
* 448 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 583068)
* 449 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 583069)
1415 OK FETCH completed.

And sure enough, there are indeed only three unseen/unread articles in the group, but the group buffer says 10.  This happens, with different numbers, of course, to every group on that server, including some that have 0 actual unread articles showing up as having several hundred unread.

I've started to figure out edebug as part of this process, but don't know what function to check here.  Please let me know and I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net