* Threading with broken Eudora References for nntp?
@ 2003-08-16 17:46 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-16 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm reading some Gmane groups (e.g. gmane.mail.bogofilter.general)
with Eudora-Users.  The problem is that I cannot use
`nnmail-fix-eudora-headers'...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Washing Mail") ]
|     `nnmail-fix-eudora-headers'
|           Eudora produces broken `References' headers, but OK
|           `In-Reply-To' headers.  This function will get rid of the
|           `References' headers.
`----

... because it's an nntp group (no nnmail involved).

Can this be fixed on Gmane (e.g. by renaming the bogus References
header)?

Or is it possible to handle this in Gnus with some alternative to
`gnus-gather-threads-by-references'?
I'm afraid I don't grok this function, so I cannot write my own
`gnus-gather-threads-by-references-but-use-in-reply-to-for-eudora'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Threading with broken Eudora References for nntp?
@ 2003-08-16 18:55 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-08-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Can this be fixed on Gmane (e.g. by renaming the bogus References
> header)?

Steinar Bang (I think) did a survey of which Eudora versions sported
what type of brokenness, so it could be done, I guess.  But it's not
a high priority.

* Re: Threading with broken Eudora References for nntp?
@ 2003-08-16 19:58   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-16 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sat, Aug 16 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Steinar Bang (I think) did a survey of which Eudora versions sported
> what type of brokenness, so it could be done, I guess.  But it's not
> a high priority.

Ah, thanks.  Here it is...

,----[ <news:m3of9g6rtf.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org> ]
| From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
| Subject: Re: Fixing Eudora references
|
| Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
|
| > Ie. the algorithm to catch _all_ Eudora misthreadings is:
| >  - if the message id in the in-reply-to header differs from the last
| >    message id in the references header, tack the in-reply-to message
| >    id on the end of the references header
|
| I've now implemented this, and will probably put it into production
| later today.
`----

Still not in production after 41 weeks and 6 days? ;-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-08-17 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Still not in production after 41 weeks and 6 days? ;-)

Hey, Rome wasn't built in one day.  I think that gives me a certain
leeway.

I've now located the code (which was in a -test version of the
mail-to-news script) and inserted that into the production code
(without testing, of course).

So any Eudora messages from now one should have their References
headers fiddled with, if I managed to pick out the right bits of the
code...

* Re: Threading with broken Eudora References for nntp?
@ 2003-08-20 12:43       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-20 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, Aug 17 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> So any Eudora messages from now one should have their References
> headers fiddled with, if I managed to pick out the right bits of the
> code...

It seems so :-), thanks.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2003-10-17 19:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-17 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> I'm reading some Gmane groups (e.g. gmane.mail.bogofilter.general)
> with Eudora-Users.  The problem is that I cannot use
> `nnmail-fix-eudora-headers'...

[...]

> Can this be fixed on Gmane (e.g. by renaming the bogus References
> header)?

Gmane fixes Eudora references now...