From: gnus@butchwax.com
Subject: Re: nnimap summary: view ALL headers
Date: 09 Sep 2002 00:04:24 +0800	[thread overview]

Howdy!  Thanks for TWO responses!

remco@rc6.org (Remco B. Brink) writes:

> >  Now I'm back to Linux and Emacs, yay!
> Welcome back :)

Whew, thanks!  It sure is nice to be back.  :)

> In the group buffer, try the following:
>   C-u <space>

Ahhhh, there it is!  And, ....

Kai Großjohann (Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE) writes:

> There is a "see old articles" menu entry in the *Group* buffer (the
> list of groups).  You can also use C-u RET or C-u SPC or C-u = to
> enter the group -- without C-u, these keys show the unread messages
> only, with C-u they also show those that are marked as read.

Yes!!!  Thank you!

Those are what it took to get me started.  Gnus is very nice, once I
wrapped my head around the concept of using a newsreader to read mail.
:) Now I've got my mail splitting properly, something I've never had
in my life (I'm a sysadmin, so I should have, but I've been too lazy
to get that working server-side ;), and I got all the flags set
correctly and my summary lines like I want, so now everything is
making sense!

Sorry, I've got another question now.  :) Mutt (blah, tried that
before Gnus) has a really nifty feature where you can set the From:
header depending on different rules.  For example, when replying to a
'ding@gnus.org' article (do I really have to use usenet vocabulary for
my mail now?  :), I'd like the From: header to appear as
'gnus@butchwax.com,' and when replying to an
'openldap-users@openldap.org' article, I'd like the From: header to
appear as 'openldap@butchwax.com.'  Is this something I need to
control from gnus or message?  Seems like gnus, since message might
not have full access to the original article's headers.  Is this
common practice amongst you gnus/mail users?  I've been using this
(creating new email addresses for new entities) as a stupid
spam-control method for a while now.  It's been very effective,
especially since I can track who's been giving my email out to
spammers (who'd have thought onebox.com would give my email address to
the weight loss and university diploma spammers?!?).

Thanks again!  Gnus rocks!  BTW, if I can find the time, I'll write up
a HOWTO/quickstart guide for folks converting from conventional
mailers to gnus.  I think if you're not already a gnus user, it's not
obvious.....  Let me know if you think this is a good idea, or if you
think I'm just being a whiny punk!

        John