From: gnus@butchwax.com
Subject: nnimap summary: view ALL headers
Date: 04 Sep 2002 18:36:27 +0800	[thread overview]

Howdy!

I'm just switching to gnus for my email environment.  I've been stuck
with Windogs for the last 6 months, and was using Outlook Express with
an imaps (courier) server.  Now I'm back to Linux and Emacs, yay!

I've identified gnus as being the best emacs mail program to do imap.
It seems to be most naturally suited to reading messages on a remote
server, right?  And it does SSL, GPG, LDAP (maybe...), and other nifty
things that I want.  Very cool!

However, getting started with gnus as a mail reader (and no experience
with it as a news reader, either) is turning out to be frustrating.
If I can solve this one problem I'll be more or less set:

Gnus treats messages marked 'read' as deleted.  That makes sense to me
for news, but not for email, especially since I've come from using OE
which has marked most of my email as 'read.'  I can't seem to figure
out how to display ALL message headers, including the ones marked
'read.'  It doesn't seem to be related to gnus's 'limiting'
facilities.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Next, if articles marked as 'read' are treated as deleted by gnus, how
do I reconcile that with using another imap client to read email?
Does this mean that each time I read a message through, eg., the web
mail interface, I will have to go back and uncheck the 'read' box?

Thanks for any help.  I'd appreciate a CC: on any replies, there's no
way I'm subscribing to this group until I have gnus working fully!  ;)

        John