* Migrating to IMAP for real?  As a native method, anyway.
@ 2001-02-21 20:16 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-21 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I will be migrating to IMAP sometime in the not so distant future, and
I thought maybe I should try to make nnimap my primary select method.

Does anybody have experience with using nnimap as the native server?

And what would be the least painful way to migrate from me having:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "foo"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "" (nnimap-address "bar"))
        (nnml "")))

to me having this:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "" (nnimap-address "bar")))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
        (nntp "" (nntp-address "foo"))))

I'd like to keep all marks, if possible.  But of course, I only want
to do this if there won't be tons of problems.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Migrating to IMAP for real?  As a native method, anyway.
@ 2001-02-21 20:28 ` Michael Alan Dorman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Alan Dorman @ 2001-02-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anybody have experience with using nnimap as the native server?

Use it all the time.

> And what would be the least painful way to migrate from me having:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "foo"))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "" (nnimap-address "bar"))
>         (nnml "")))
>
> to me having this:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "" (nnimap-address "bar")))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnml "")
>         (nntp "" (nntp-address "foo"))))
>
> I'd like to keep all marks, if possible.  But of course, I only want
> to do this if there won't be tons of problems.

I moved my existing stuff, created a "tentative" new configuration,
started it, populated the group list, put my old config back, and
edited GROUPS.eld directly based on differences between it and the
"tentative" setup. :-)

I don't know if this qualifies as less than tons of problems.

Mike.

* Re: Migrating to IMAP for real?  As a native method, anyway.
@ 2001-02-21 20:38   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-21 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@debian.org> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> > Does anybody have experience with using nnimap as the native server?
>
> Use it all the time.
>
> > And what would be the least painful way to migrate from me having:
> >
> > (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "foo"))
> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> >       '((nnimap "" (nnimap-address "bar"))
> >         (nnml "")))
> >
> > to me having this:
> >
> > (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "" (nnimap-address "bar")))
> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> >       '((nnml "")
> >         (nntp "" (nntp-address "foo"))))
> >
> > I'd like to keep all marks, if possible.  But of course, I only want
> > to do this if there won't be tons of problems.
>
> I moved my existing stuff, created a "tentative" new configuration,
> started it, populated the group list, put my old config back, and
> edited GROUPS.eld directly based on differences between it and the
> "tentative" setup. :-)
>
> I don't know if this qualifies as less than tons of problems.

Most of them don't count as problems, because he is Kai.

Remember to write a tutorial about migration.

ShengHuo

* Re: Migrating to IMAP for real?  As a native method, anyway.
@ 2001-02-21 21:19   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-21 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 21 Feb 2001, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> I moved my existing stuff, created a "tentative" new configuration,
> started it, populated the group list, put my old config back, and
> edited GROUPS.eld directly based on differences between it and the
> "tentative" setup. :-)

Yeah.  That gives me an idea: I could add a secondary nntp server,
then subscribe a group on it.  Then I see what's the difference
between the native nntp group entries in ~/.newsrc.eld and the
secondary ones, and off I go (editing ~/.newsrc.eld).

And when the native server doesn't have any subscribed groups, I just
change gnus-select-method to point to the IMAP server.  And then I
subscribe a group there and again I have a template to work from.

Ah.  That might actually work.

Or maybe I just do what you did: create a tentative config with nnimap
as native and nntp as secondary.

But I think I did something like this before (nnml rather than nnimap,
though), and I went back for some reason.  Hm.  Maybe the reason was
that I didn't have gnus-post-method set to current back then, so it
was difficult to post news.  But I'm not sure what was the problem
back then.

Ah, maybe I'll just try it and see what happens :-)

kai
--

@ 2001-02-21 21:21     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-21 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Feb 2001, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:

> Most of them don't count as problems, because he is Kai.

*blush*

> Remember to write a tutorial about migration.

Yes, please!  Will integrate.

kai
--

@ 2001-02-22 13:53 ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2001-02-22 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi Kai,

On 21 Feb 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> I will be migrating to IMAP sometime in the not so distant future,
> and I thought maybe I should try to make nnimap my primary select
> method.
>
> Does anybody have experience with using nnimap as the native server?

Yes, I have that on my workstation. My experience is not the best and
on my laptop, which is now my primary machine I did not use that
setup.

There are quite some places where gnus expects the primary select
method to be nntp. E.g. in drafts I had some problems and it needed
tweeking

But since you apparently will do it I am quite optimistic that these
issues will be resolved soon :-)

Greetings
		Christoph

BTW: IMAP is great and worth the migration. Thanks Simon for the
     nnimap backend

* Re: Migrating to IMAP for real?  As a native method, anyway.
@ 2001-02-22 14:21   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-02-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Rohland <cr@sap.com> writes:
> There are quite some places where gnus expects the primary select
> method to be nntp. E.g. in drafts I had some problems and it needed
> tweeking

I've had no problems with nnmaildir primary and nntp secondary.  Then
again, I very rarely use drafts.

paul

* Re: Migrating to IMAP for real?  As a native method, anyway.
@ 2001-02-23 17:16 ` Douglas K. Rand
From: Douglas K. Rand @ 2001-02-23 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

** Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> on 21 Feb 2001 21:16:44 +0100
** in [Migrating to IMAP for real?  As a native method, anyway.] writes:

Kai> I will be migrating to IMAP sometime in the not so distant future, and
Kai> I thought maybe I should try to make nnimap my primary select method.

Kai> Does anybody have experience with using nnimap as the native server?

Kai> And what would be the least painful way to migrate from me having:

Kai> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "foo"))
Kai> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "" (nnimap-address "bar"))
        (nnml "")))

Kai> to me having this:

Kai> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "" (nnimap-address "bar")))
Kai> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
        (nntp "" (nntp-address "foo"))))

Kai> I'd like to keep all marks, if possible.  But of course, I only want
Kai> to do this if there won't be tons of problems.

I am by no means an exprt on Gnus stuff, but I like it anyway.

An approach that I've been using for a few weeks is to basically have
gnus-select-method do nothing, and have everything in
gnus-secondary-select-methods. This has saved me some hassle in
switching things around as the groups are always fully qualified.

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnfolder "~/Mail/empty/"
		 (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
		 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "rand")
	(nnimap "Agena"
		(nnimap-address "agena")
		(nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*")))
	(nntp "news.uswest.net")
	(nntp "news.freshmeat.net")))

I picked the nnfolder because it seemed the easiest to have do nothing
at all.

* Re: Migrating to IMAP for real?  As a native method, anyway.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-02-26  9:41 ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2001-02-26  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi Kai,

On 21 Feb 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Does anybody have experience with using nnimap as the native server?

Oh another point which always disturbed me: gnus-message-archive-group
does instist to put nnimap: in front of the Group name which then
conflicts with auto-completion functionality.

Greetings
		Christoph