* Server agent property not sticking
@ 1999-12-02  1:15 John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 1999-12-02  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

This feels like an RTM question, but I've tried many things and can't
get it work.

Using Gnus 0.99 on Emacs 20.4, I agentize, start gnus, and mark my
nntp:news server using `J a'.  Then I leave gnus, and run
`gnus-unplugged'.  However, it always wants to access the server over
nntp.  I can't seem to get the agent property to "stick".

Has anyone run into something similar?

Thanks,
  John

* Re: Server agent property not sticking
@ 1999-12-06  4:19 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-06  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Wiegley <jwiegley@borland.com> writes:

> Using Gnus 0.99 on Emacs 20.4, I agentize, start gnus, and mark my
> nntp:news server using `J a'.  Then I leave gnus, and run
> `gnus-unplugged'.  However, it always wants to access the server over
> nntp.  I can't seem to get the agent property to "stick".

Perhaps you have some groups from a similar virtual nntp server?  The
`^' command will list all the (virtual) servers that Gnus knows about.

* Re: Server agent property not sticking
@ 1999-12-06 20:37   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 1999-12-06 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Perhaps you have some groups from a similar virtual nntp server?
> The `^' command will list all the (virtual) servers that Gnus knows
> about.

I've tried `J a' on every server in the server buffer.  Still the same
problem.  If I am in the *Group* buffer, and type 'J j' to unplug,
then ^ and 'J a' on every server, then come out and type 'g', sure
enough it doesn't touch the nntp server.  But if I then exit Gnus and
come back in with `gnus-unplugged', it connects right back up to nntp
again.

* Re: Server agent property not sticking
@ 1999-12-07 19:19   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 1999-12-07 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Perhaps you have some groups from a similar virtual nntp server?  The
> `^' command will list all the (virtual) servers that Gnus knows about.

I found the problem.  `(gnus-agentize)' MUST be in .gnus.el, and not
in .emacs.el.  Since I've never kept a .gnus.el file before, I
naturally did not put it there.