* gnus-summary-save-article help
@ 1999-11-24  0:31 Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1999-11-24  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ages ago (well, a few months) someone convinced me to hack together
some lisp to write the current buffer out to my Palm V with the
pilot-memo command-line thang.

Then I caught the feeping creature disease and figured it'd be nice to
save the current Gnus article, although I never quite got it to work
properly - when (gnus-summary-article-subject) gets called it seems to
return the subject line of the last article in the summary buffer,
rather than the one I'm actually looking at.  Help !

The (rather poor) code's attached.

[-- Attachment #2: (try to) save your buffer off to a Palm device --]

Thanks heeps,
 andrew.
--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au> exterminate all rational thought !
                     ghosts telephone fish steroids zodiac

* Re: gnus-summary-save-article help
@ 1999-11-24  1:45 ` Taso N. Devetzis
From: Taso N. Devetzis @ 1999-11-24  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au> writes:

> Ages ago (well, a few months) someone convinced me to hack together
> some lisp to write the current buffer out to my Palm V with the
> pilot-memo command-line thang.

now, syncing bbdb and the palm pilot would result in much rejoicing,
and feasting on the lambs, and sloths, and fruit-bats, and orangutans,
and breakfast cereals, and ...

/taso

* Re: gnus-summary-save-article help
@ 1999-11-24  2:01   ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1999-11-24  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taso N. Devetzis wrote :

> Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au> writes:
>
> > Ages ago (well, a few months) someone convinced me to hack
> > together some lisp to write the current buffer out to my Palm V
> > with the pilot-memo command-line thang.
>
> now, syncing bbdb and the palm pilot would result in much rejoicing,
> and feasting on the lambs, and sloths, and fruit-bats, and
> orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and ...

Yeah, but if /I/ tried writing that, it would suck :)

I just settle for keeping the BBDB as the "master", and occasionally
chuck it down to the Palm V.

If I make local changes on the Palm, I move them into a different
category, so I can fix those ones later (ie. when I can be bothered).

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au> exterminate all rational thought !
                        princess detox sun hair leather

* Re: gnus-summary-save-article help
@ 1999-12-01 19:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au> writes:

> Then I caught the feeping creature disease and figured it'd be nice to
> save the current Gnus article, although I never quite got it to work
> properly - when (gnus-summary-article-subject) gets called it seems to
> return the subject line of the last article in the summary buffer,
> rather than the one I'm actually looking at.  Help !

That function can only be called in the summary buffer.

Instead, use `(cdr gnus-article-current)', which, when in the article
buffer, will give you the current article number.

* Re: gnus-summary-save-article help
@ 1999-12-02 23:29   ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1999-12-02 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote :

> Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au> writes:
>
> > Then I caught the feeping creature disease and figured it'd be
> > nice to save the current Gnus article, although I never quite got
> > it to work properly - when (gnus-summary-article-subject) gets
> > called it seems to return the subject line of the last article in
> > the summary buffer, rather than the one I'm actually looking at.
> > Help !
>
> That function can only be called in the summary buffer.
>
> Instead, use `(cdr gnus-article-current)', which, when in the article
> buffer, will give you the current article number.

Hmm a `(mail-header-subject gnus-current-headers)' seems to do the
right thing.

ie.

(defun gnus-summary-save-article-pilot (&optional arg)
  "Save the current article to a memo on your Palm device.
If N is a positive number, save the N next articles.
If N is a negative number, save the N previous articles.
If N is nil and any articles have been marked with the process mark,
save those articles instead."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((gnus-default-article-saver 'gnus-summary-save-in-pilot-memo))
    (gnus-summary-save-article arg)))

(defun gnus-summary-save-in-pilot-memo (&optional filename)
  "Save this article to a memo on your Palm device.
Optional argument FILENAME specifies file name."
  (gnus-eval-in-buffer-window gnus-save-article-buffer
    (save-buffer-to-pilot (read-string "memo title: " (mail-header-subject gnus-current-headers)))))

Is that, like, a good way to do it ?

Thanks heeps,
 Cos.
--