* sending mail from gnus
@ 1999-11-04 14:28 Tim Ayers
From: Tim Ayers @ 1999-11-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using pgnus 0.97 from NTemacs. Based on the NTEmacs FAQ at
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html I have set the
following in my .emacs to allow sending mail

  (setq user-full-name "Tim Ayers")
  (setq user-mail-address "tayers@bridge.com")
  (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server ".........")
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
  (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  (load-library "smtpmail")

And this works great if I do C-x m (compose-mail)

The FAQ also says

  If you are using GNUS to send mail, then you will also need:
     (load-library "message")
     (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

which I have added to my .emacs file, but sending mail from gnus does
not work. It acts like it worked, giving a "Sending...done" message,
but the mail must be going out to the ether because it never reaches
its destination. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hope you have a very nice day, :-)
Tim Ayers (tayers@bridge.com)

* Re: sending mail from gnus
@ 1999-11-07  1:20 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Ayers <tayers@bridge.com> writes:

>   If you are using GNUS to send mail, then you will also need:
>      (load-library "message")
>      (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>
> which I have added to my .emacs file, but sending mail from gnus does
> not work. It acts like it worked, giving a "Sending...done" message,
> but the mail must be going out to the ether because it never reaches
> its destination.

What is the current value of the `message-send-mail-function'
variable?

* Re: sending mail from gnus
@ 1999-11-07  4:20   ` Tim Ayers
From: Tim Ayers @ 1999-11-07  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

L> Tim Ayers <tayers@bridge.com> writes:
>> If you are using GNUS to send mail, then you will also need:
>> (load-library "message")
>> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>>
>> which I have added to my .emacs file, but sending mail from gnus does
>> not work. It acts like it worked, giving a "Sending...done" message,
>> but the mail must be going out to the ether because it never reaches
>> its destination.

L> What is the current value of the `message-send-mail-function'
L> variable?

C-H v gives

  message-send-mail-function's value is
  smtpmail-send-it

I've checked variables that seem to be related to
this. smtpmail-smtp-server and smtpmail-default-smtp-server contain
the IP of my SMTP server. I'm not sure what else to look for.

Thanks again,
Tim Ayers (tayers@bridge.com)

* Re: sending mail from gnus
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Ayers <tayers@bridge.com> writes:

> I've checked variables that seem to be related to
> this. smtpmail-smtp-server and smtpmail-default-smtp-server contain
> the IP of my SMTP server. I'm not sure what else to look for.

I'm not familiar with smtpmail.  Anybody else have any ideas?