* Articles always unread?
@ 1999-08-31  9:47 Jochen Lillich
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jochen Lillich @ 1999-08-31  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

is there a feature (like a group parameter) that lets me define mail
groups whose articles always stay unread, even if already read?

Thanks,
	Jochen

--
*** Linux BBS: Die deutsche Website fuer Linux-News und -Infos ***
                    http://www.linuxbbs.org/

* Re: Articles always unread?
@ 1999-08-31 11:42 ` Russ Allbery
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Russ Allbery @ 1999-08-31 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Lillich <jochen@dynamis.de> writes:

> is there a feature (like a group parameter) that lets me define mail
> groups whose articles always stay unread, even if already read?

The standard answer to this question is that you probably want to tick
messages to obtain this behavior.  What are you trying to accomplish, in
general terms, and why isn't ticking the messages working correctly?

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: Articles always unread?
@ 1999-08-31 12:03 ` Shaun Lipscombe
From: Shaun Lipscombe @ 1999-08-31 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

* "Jochen" == Jochen Lillich <jochen@dynamis.de> writes:

 Jochen> Hi, is there a feature (like a group parameter) that lets me
 Jochen> define mail groups whose articles always stay unread, even if
 Jochen> already read?

If you want this so that you can always see your mail then you want
the group parameter ((display . all)).  mail is not deleted unless you
use total-expire, or auto-expire so this will provide the behaviour I
think you require.

HTH,

Shaun

--
          (o_
(o_  (o_  //\

* Re: Articles always unread?
@ 1999-08-31 12:24 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-08-31 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Lillich <jochen@dynamis.de> writes:

> is there a feature (like a group parameter) that lets me define mail
> groups whose articles always stay unread, even if already read?

Are you sure you want that?  If so, why?

If all you want is the articles to stay *visible* even if read, see
the `display' group parameter.

If what you want is the group to stay visible in the group buffer even
if all articles in it are read, see the `visible' group parameter, or
the `gnus-permanently-visible-groups' variable.

* Re: Articles always unread?
@ 1999-08-31 13:36   ` Jochen Lillich
From: Jochen Lillich @ 1999-08-31 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Are you sure you want that?  If so, why?

I want to have some "ToDo" mail groups where I store mails that still
have to be dealt with. So, these groups should always display how many
mails they contain.

> If all you want is the articles to stay *visible* even if read, see
> the `display' group parameter.

That's half the way. But the group buffer won't display the correct
no. of "ToDo's" if mails are already read. Any suggestions?

Thanks Hrvoje (how does one pronounce that?), Russ and Shaun!

	Jochen

--

@ 1999-08-31 15:37     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-31 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Lillich <jochen@dynamis.de> writes:

> I want to have some "ToDo" mail groups where I store mails that still
> have to be dealt with.

May I suggest a completely different way of going about it?

Just tick all messages that you still have to deal with and include
something in the gnus-group-line-format which shows you the number of
ticked messages in a group.

My gnus-group-line-format does this:

(setq gnus-group-line-format "%M%S%P[%5i]%5y: %(%-50,50g%)\n")

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Articles always unread?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-08-31 18:56 ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1999-08-31 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Lillich <jochen@dynamis.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> is there a feature (like a group parameter) that lets me define mail
> groups whose articles always stay unread, even if already read?

  Here's how I do this:

  In my ~/.gnus:

    (add-hook 'gnus-exit-group-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (if (boundp 'clear-marks)
		 (gnus-summary-clear-above -1))))

  In the group parameters of the group(s) concerned:

    (clear-marks t)

  Provided you have not `scored down' any of the articles in the
group to below `0', all the `read' marks will be cleared as you exit
the group.

--
Mike.