* w3 colouring
@ 1998-12-03 19:07 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-12-03 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

i'd like to ask: is it a `feature' that colouring of cyrillic text in
html messages in gnus is done only for positions with characters, and
not for the whole background? i.e., the space after the last character
in a line is not affected by the background colour.

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

* Re: w3 colouring
@ 1998-12-04  2:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-04  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> i'd like to ask: is it a `feature' that colouring of cyrillic text in
> html messages in gnus is done only for positions with characters, and
> not for the whole background? i.e., the space after the last character
> in a line is not affected by the background colour.

4.0b31 fixes stuff in this area -- I no longer see "blockyness" -- the
entire buffer gets the background color.  (It's debatable whether this
is a Good Thing (for instance, in a multipart/mixed with some HTML
parts), but since virtually all HTML I've seen is either pure HTML or
HTML in a multipart/alternative, I think it's nicer to colorise the
entire buffer.)

* Re: w3 colouring
@ 1998-12-04 16:25   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-12-04 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> 4.0b31 fixes stuff in this area -- I no longer see "blockyness"
Lars> -- the entire buffer gets the background color.  (It's debatable
Lars> whether this is a Good Thing (for instance, in a multipart/mixed
Lars> with some HTML parts), but since virtually all HTML I've seen is
Lars> either pure HTML or HTML in a multipart/alternative, I think
Lars> it's nicer to colorise the entire buffer.)

Yeah, but:

[-- Attachment #2: test html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 397 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: test2 html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 397 bytes --]

What does that do?

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: w3 colouring
@ 1998-12-04 17:53     ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1998-12-04 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very messy....

Let's see... Blah.html comes out with a blue, underlined "blah" and then
your Wes Hardaker footer (in red for the mailto: url).  The blue must be
due to the <h1>.

Blah2.html looks the same, but the background color OF THE TEXT area is
black.  The <hr> does not have a black background.  The "last modified"
line is black text with black background.

For some reason, I expected the entire part to have a white (or black)
background, not just the text.  I also note that the color treatment in w3
vs. netscape is very different.  I tried
which should be grey text on a black background (at least in Netscape).  In
Gnus/W3 I got a black background with very hard to see blue/purple text.  I
don't have ANY customization of w3 in my init files.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: Should I start with the time I SWITCHED personalities with a BEATNIK

* Re: w3 colouring
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-05 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> What does that do?

It used the last background color, as one would expect, I guess.

Which is ugly, but it's a marginal problem.

The nicest thing would be if each part could get the background
colorized separately, but that's not trivial to do with the current
(X)Emacs display engine.