* Re: rrs opening from summary does not mark read
       [not found] ` <acl5q7p6.fsf@Guido-ykITjDcPGoLNLxjTenLetw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-07-03  9:44   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-07-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guido Van Hoecke <Guido-ykITjDcPGoLNLxjTenLetw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> The "Gnus v5.10.7" info manual about RSS gives a lisp snippet to open
> an nnrss url directly from the summary buffer. This works as a charm,
> albeit that the summary buffer entry doesn't get marked as read.
>
> Does any gnus/lisp guru care to add this to the browse-nnrss-url
> defun?

The code in the manual (No Gnus v0.4) contains
,----
|          (if url
|              (progn
|                (browse-url (cdr url))
|                (gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward 1))
|            (gnus-summary-scroll-up arg))))
`----
Therefore the article should be marked read when a url is present.
,----[ C-h f gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward RET ]
| gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
| (gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward N)
|
| Mark N articles as read forwards.
| If N is negative, mark backwards instead.
| The difference between N and the actual number of articles marked is
| returned.
|
| [back]
`----

Personally I use the following, which has some more from this list or
the Wiki or so. This works nicely (again: No Gnus v0.4):
,----
| (add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
|           (lambda ()
|             (if (string-match "nnrss:" gnus-newsgroup-name)
|                 (progn
|                   (make-local-variable 'gnus-show-threads)
|                   (make-local-variable 'gnus-article-sort-functions)
|                   (make-local-variable 'gnus-use-adaptive-scoring)
|                   (make-local-variable 'gnus-use-scoring)
|                   (make-local-variable 'gnus-score-find-score-files-function)
|                   (make-local-variable 'gnus-summary-line-format)
|                   (setq gnus-show-threads nil)
|                   (setq gnus-article-sort-functions 'gnus-article-sort-by-number)
|                   (setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring nil)
|                   (setq gnus-use-scoring t)
|                   (setq gnus-score-find-score-files-function 'gnus-score-find-single)
|                   (setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z%[%d%] %I%( %s%)\n")))))
| (defun jk/browse-nnrss-url(arg)
|   (interactive "p")
|   (let ((url (assq nnrss-url-field
|                    (mail-header-extra
|                     (gnus-data-header
|                      (assq (gnus-summary-article-number)
|                            gnus-newsgroup-data))))))
|     (if url
|         (progn
|           (browse-url (cdr url))
|           (gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward 1))
|       (gnus-summary-scroll-up arg))))
| (add-to-list 'nnmail-extra-headers nnrss-url-field)
| (add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
|           (lambda ()
|             (if (string-match "nnrss" gnus-newsgroup-name)
|                 (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd "<RET>") 'jk/browse-nnrss-url))))
`----
However, the AFAICT the relevant piece of code is the same.

HTH

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* rrs opening from summary does not mark read
@ 2005-07-02 20:22 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2005-07-02 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

The "Gnus v5.10.7" info manual about RSS gives a lisp snippet to open
an nnrss url directly from the summary buffer. This works as a charm,
albeit that the summary buffer entry doesn't get marked as read.

Does any gnus/lisp guru care to add this to the browse-nnrss-url
defun? I am afraid that the sum of my gnus & lisp knowledge isn't
enough here :-(

It sure would be convenient if I did not have to manually mark as
Read. I confess, I am a lazy guy :)

TIA,

Guido.