* Non-ASCII group names is broken (return of the \201's)
@ 2003-08-10 12:47 Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-10 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 671 bytes --]

If I create a new nnml group with a non-ASCII name:

   `G m Æblegrød RET nnml RET'

The group turns up in the Group buffer like this

   Æblegrød

The problem is of course that Gnus thinks the name is unibyte (utf-8
specifically).

We could fix it by setting `gnus-group-name-charset-group-alist' to
nil, but then names of nntp groups which really _are_ unibyte would be
wrong.

I think it's a big mess that the list of newsgroups
(`gnus-newsrc-alist', `gnus-newsrc-hashtb' etc.) can contain a mix of
unibyte and multibyte names.  It also breaks `j'
(gnus-group-jump-to-group) in the Group buffer and probably more
stuff.

I don't see any easy solution, though.

* Re: Non-ASCII group names is broken (return of the \201's)
@ 2003-08-10 12:57 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-08-10 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 1085 bytes --]

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> If I create a new nnml group with a non-ASCII name:
>
>    `G m Æblegrød RET nnml RET'
>
> The group turns up in the Group buffer like this
>
>    Æblegrød
>
> The problem is of course that Gnus thinks the name is unibyte (utf-8
> specifically).
>
> We could fix it by setting `gnus-group-name-charset-group-alist' to
> nil, but then names of nntp groups which really _are_ unibyte would be
> wrong.
>
> I think it's a big mess that the list of newsgroups
> (`gnus-newsrc-alist', `gnus-newsrc-hashtb' etc.) can contain a mix of
> unibyte and multibyte names.  It also breaks `j'
> (gnus-group-jump-to-group) in the Group buffer and probably more
> stuff.
>
> I don't see any easy solution, though.

This is probably contentious, but when emacsen support Unicode well
enough, IMHO we should make all Gnus files be UTF-8.

Since, I believe, even emacs HEAD doesn't support Unicode well enough
(it can't transcode double-width Cyrillic to Unicode), I don't expect
this to happen very soon though.

* Re: Non-ASCII group names is broken (return of the \201's)
@ 2003-08-11 12:49 ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-08-11 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 284 bytes --]

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> If I create a new nnml group with a non-ASCII name:
>
>    `G m Æblegrød RET nnml RET'
>
> The group turns up in the Group buffer like this
>
>    Æblegrød

Similar things happen for nnimap.

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: Non-ASCII group names is broken (return of the \201's)
@ 2003-08-11 14:07   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-08-11 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

[...quote...]

> Similar things happen for nnimap.

Interestingly, the previous (quoted) message confuses the whatever out
of my Gnus/Emacs (21.3). The "Similar things happen for nnimap" line
isn't displayed unless follow up or press "C-u g", so it appears I just
quoted and added the signature without adding my comment, which isn't
the case.

--
Matthias Andree