* Rendering on Bm
@ 2001-08-18  8:53 Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2001-08-18  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

When wishing to manually move a mail from my default folder using Bm
in the summary buffer, if the mail is in HTML W3 renders the email
before Bm prompts for the destination. Would it be possible to move
the mail without rendering it?

* Re: Rendering on Bm
@ 2001-08-19 15:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-19 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> When wishing to manually move a mail from my default folder using Bm
> in the summary buffer, if the mail is in HTML W3 renders the email
> before Bm prompts for the destination. Would it be possible to move
> the mail without rendering it?

All the commands that select an article (and `B m' is one of them)
renders the article.  I don't think it would be appropriate to
special-case `B m' here.

* Re: Rendering on Bm
@ 2001-08-20 17:25   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-08-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> When wishing to manually move a mail from my default folder using Bm
>> in the summary buffer, if the mail is in HTML W3 renders the email
>> before Bm prompts for the destination. Would it be possible to move
>> the mail without rendering it?
>
> All the commands that select an article (and `B m' is one of them)
> renders the article.  I don't think it would be appropriate to
> special-case `B m' here.

Then maybe there could be a way to move the article without selecting
it.  Or is that nonsensical?  Anyway, 'B m' wouldn't have to be a
special case - there are other operations that also don't require
rendering the article, but render it anyway.  (Aren't there?)

paul

* Re: Rendering on Bm
@ 2001-08-20 19:07   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-08-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> All the commands that select an article (and `B m' is one of them)
> renders the article.  I don't think it would be appropriate to
> special-case `B m' here.

Considering that the entire `B' keymap consists of actions involving
shuffling things around in the backend (i.e. the filesystem) rather
than the frontend (i.e. my eyeballs)...well, while it may currently
constitute a special case, I don't see any explanation for (what I
perceive as) the failure mode of process-marking 150 messages followed
by `B m' followed by Gnus choking by observing for my "benefit" the
lack of a known PGP key for the signed content therein.  I'm moving
the articles Elsewhere -- why should I care about _anything_ having to do
with rendering, least of all the complicated nightmare of invoking PGP?

I've actually developed the tendency to use a keyboard macro when
needing to `B m': The macro begins with `C-u g', so that the article
is pre-rendered in the vacuous sense, followed by `B m' to send it
where it belongs.  Being pre-rendered, Gnus doesn't make any further
efforts involving heavyweight foo like PGP.  The problem is that I
don't have a way to make a keyboard macro interact with process marks.

* Re: Rendering on Bm
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Considering that the entire `B' keymap consists of actions involving
> shuffling things around in the backend (i.e. the filesystem) rather
> than the frontend (i.e. my eyeballs)...well, while it may currently
> constitute a special case, I don't see any explanation for (what I
> perceive as) the failure mode of process-marking 150 messages followed
> by `B m' followed by Gnus choking by observing for my "benefit" the
> lack of a known PGP key for the signed content therein.  I'm moving
> the articles Elsewhere -- why should I care about _anything_ having to do
> with rendering, least of all the complicated nightmare of invoking PGP?

Well, you've convinced me.  Should I make all the
moving/copying/re-spooling functions completely non-selecting?

* Re: Rendering on Bm
@ 2001-08-20 23:26       ` Matt Christian
From: Matt Christian @ 2001-08-20 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>
> > Considering that the entire `B' keymap consists of actions involving
> > shuffling things around in the backend (i.e. the filesystem) rather
> > than the frontend (i.e. my eyeballs)... [...]   I'm moving
> > the articles Elsewhere -- why should I care about _anything_ having to do
> > with rendering, least of all the complicated nightmare of invoking PGP?
>
> Well, you've convinced me.  Should I make all the
> moving/copying/re-spooling functions completely non-selecting?

I'm not Karl (or Lars ;) but I'll put my $.02 US in now...

I run into this very same problem when dealing with spam in Gnus.  Gnus
attempts to render HTML-based email before completely throwing away the
result and moving the article.  I know about the discouraged-alteratives
variables but what spam is actually RFC compliant?  I'd rather have
commands like 'B m' just move the dang article without even invoking any
display/rendering routines.

Short answer: yes, could someone please make these functions non-selecting?

- Matt

--
Matt Christian - mattc@visi.com
http://www.visi.com/~mattc/

* Re: Rendering on Bm
@ 2001-08-21 11:50         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-08-21 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Christian <mattc@visi.com> writes:

> I run into this very same problem when dealing with spam in Gnus.  Gnus
> attempts to render HTML-based email before completely throwing away the
> result and moving the article.  I know about the discouraged-alteratives
> variables but what spam is actually RFC compliant?  I'd rather have
> commands like 'B m' just move the dang article without even invoking any
> display/rendering routines.

I have the same problem, it is particularly bad as I don't trust that
w3 will not be tricked into send any acknowledgement to the spam site.

> Short answer: yes, could someone please make these functions non-selecting?

me2

* Re: Rendering on Bm
@ 2001-08-21 12:05           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-21 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

>> Short answer: yes, could someone please make these functions non-selecting?
>
> me2

The fix has been in CVS for hours now.  :-)