* gnus-agent-expire
@ 1999-07-10 18:34 Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1999-07-10 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I do 'M-x gnus-agent-expire' I thought that all read articles
older than gnus-agent-expire-days would be expired, but I just
discovered, that this seems not to be the case here.

gnus-agent-expire-days's value is 28 (no group or topic parameters)
but I do find read articles back to the 5 Apr after gnus-agent-expire
in v0.95 (I run it on the same data in 5.6.45 a few days ago, so the
behavior is in both versions.)
It doesn't help marking the articles as expirable.

I do run gnus-agent-expire quite often and it *does* expire articles.
I just expected that these articles from april would have been erased
from my hd now.

Wrong expectations?
Robert Epprecht

* Re: gnus-agent-expire
@ 1999-08-27 17:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:

> If I do 'M-x gnus-agent-expire' I thought that all read articles
> older than gnus-agent-expire-days would be expired, but I just
> discovered, that this seems not to be the case here.

Well, age is here computed from when the articles were slurped into
the Agent.  Could that explain what you're seeing?

* Re: gnus-agent-expire
@ 1999-08-27 18:25   ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1999-08-27 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:
>
> > If I do 'M-x gnus-agent-expire' I thought that all read articles
> > older than gnus-agent-expire-days would be expired, but I just
> > discovered, that this seems not to be the case here.
>
> Well, age is here computed from when the articles were slurped into
> the Agent.  Could that explain what you're seeing?

No, they were downloaded and read months ago.

Robert Epprecht

* Re: gnus-agent-expire
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:

> > > If I do 'M-x gnus-agent-expire' I thought that all read articles
> > > older than gnus-agent-expire-days would be expired, but I just
> > > discovered, that this seems not to be the case here.
> >
> > Well, age is here computed from when the articles were slurped into
> > the Agent.  Could that explain what you're seeing?
>
> No, they were downloaded and read months ago.

I've had a peek at my Agent directories, and they don't seem to
contain any ancient articles.

Months ago...  Could it be that the articles were downloaded before
the Agent makeover?  The structure of the history file and stuff
changed a while back.  Articles that arrived before that time are
ignored by the expiry process, I think.

* Re: gnus-agent-expire
@ 1999-09-27 21:41       ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1999-09-27 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've had a peek at my Agent directories, and they don't seem to
> contain any ancient articles.
>
> Months ago...  Could it be that the articles were downloaded before
> the Agent makeover?  The structure of the history file and stuff
> changed a while back.  Articles that arrived before that time are
> ignored by the expiry process, I think.

That sounds very likely to be the explanation.

Robert Epprecht