* no x-faces in pgnus-0.77
@ 1999-02-23 17:45 John H Palmieri
From: John H Palmieri @ 1999-02-23 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.77
GNU Emacs 20.3.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1, X toolkit) of Thu Aug 27 1998 on darwin

I am not seeing x-faces when using pgnus-0.77.  When I turn on
debugging for gnus-article-display-x-face, I see this backtrace:

* gnus-article-display-x-face()
  byte-code(  [snipped]  )
  gnus-treat-article(nil 1 1)
  byte-code(  [snipped]  )
  gnus-display-mime()
  gnus-article-prepare-display()
  gnus-article-prepare(7658 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(7658)
  gnus-summary-next-page(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-next-page)

and the article is narrowed to its body, not its head.  Could the
problem be in the function gnus-display-mime, and in particular these
lines?

	  (save-restriction
	    (article-goto-body)
	    (narrow-to-region (point) (point-max))
	    (gnus-treat-article nil 1 1)
	    (widen)))

Since gnus-article-display-x-face is being called here (via
gnus-treat-article), the head of the article is missing, so no x-face
header is found.

--
John H. Palmieri                         palmieri.2@nd.edu
munitions Mossad AK-47 Honduras Treasury Soviet arrangements Ft. Meade

* Re: no x-faces in pgnus-0.77
@ 1999-02-24 10:45 ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-02-24 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:

> Pterodactyl Gnus v0.77
> GNU Emacs 20.3.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1, X toolkit) of Thu Aug 27 1998 on darwin
>
> I am not seeing x-faces when using pgnus-0.77.  When I turn on
> debugging for gnus-article-display-x-face, I see this backtrace:

C-h v gnus-article-treat-xface should return head. Check you have head
and not body or something else.

(setq gnus-treat-display-xface 'head)

is the line that you should have in your .gnus.el

HTH
Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* Re: no x-faces in pgnus-0.77
@ 1999-02-24 15:35   ` John H Palmieri
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: John H Palmieri @ 1999-02-24 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> writes:

> John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:
>
> > I am not seeing x-faces when using pgnus-0.77.
>

> (setq gnus-treat-display-xface 'head)

Ah, that did it.  Thanks.  Why doesn't

  (setq gnus-treat-display-xface t)

work?  The variable is supposed to control the display of X-Face
headers, so if it is set to t, shouldn't gnus know enough to look for
them in the head of the message?  Should each treat variable be set up
so that a value of t means 'head or 'body or ..., depending on the
particular variable?

--
John H. Palmieri                         palmieri.2@nd.edu
...Get me a GIN and TONIC!!...make it HAIR TONIC!!

* Re: no x-faces in pgnus-0.77
@ 1999-02-24 15:47     ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-02-24 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:

> Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> writes:
>
> > (setq gnus-treat-display-xface 'head)
>
> Ah, that did it.  Thanks.  Why doesn't
> (setq gnus-treat-display-xface t)
> work?

You'd have to ask Lars ;)

> The variable is supposed to control the display of X-Face
> headers, so if it is set to t, shouldn't gnus know enough to look for
> them in the head of the message?  Should each treat variable be set up
> so that a value of t means 'head or 'body or ..., depending on the
> particular variable?

Probably, there has been mention of this before, certainly of putting
something in the docs to say to set it to head. Lars did you decide
whether or not gnus should limit acceptable values ?

Lee.
--

@ 1999-02-24 15:56     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-02-24 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:
> Why doesn't (setq gnus-treat-display-xface t) work?

This is essentially the same problem I had for X-Sent display a few
days ago, with gnus-treat-date-lapsed being t, not 'head.  I would
agree, I think, that certain variables' lack of meaning anywhere *but*
the header means that t and 'head really ought to be the mean thing.

* Re: no x-faces in pgnus-0.77
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-26  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:

> Should each treat variable be set up so that a value of t means
> 'head or 'body or ..., depending on the particular variable?

There's some functions that it makes equally as much sense applying to
both headers and bodies, so I don't think that would work.

* Re: no x-faces in pgnus-0.77
@ 1999-02-26 15:43       ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-02-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > There's some functions that it makes equally as much sense applying to
  > both headers and bodies, so I don't think that would work.

Well, if a variable makes sense for head only, then t should mean
head.  If it makes sense for body only, then t should mean body.  If
it makes sense for both, then t should mean both.

No?

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

* Re: no x-faces in pgnus-0.77
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-26 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Well, if a variable makes sense for head only, then t should mean
> head.  If it makes sense for body only, then t should mean body.  If
> it makes sense for both, then t should mean both.
>
> No?

Perhaps, but I think that's even more confusing.  Setting a variable
to t could then either mean that the function applies to the head, the
body or both, depending on the function.  So I think it's better to
just restrict the customization spec to fit the functions instead.