"KG" == Kai Grossjohann writes: KG> Okay, this is the first time I've been bitten by MULE (at least I KG> presume that's where the error comes from). I nnoo'd a new KG> backend, inheriting most of the stuff from nnmbox. I created a KG> server for this backend. I added a message with a Latin-1 KG> character. Now, when typing `g' in the group buffer, I get asked KG> (two times, I've got two groups): Revisit file literally? KG> When I say yes, I get that dreaded \201 thingy. KG> What do I do now? unfortunately, this seems to be a hard-to-fix bug in Emacs/MULE. I also "suffer" from this problem: from time to time, when i receive mails to my mbox which contain some binary characters, this leads to brokenness of Gnus' dealing with my mbox. Each time pressing `g' in a group buffer starts to take a LOT of time (with bug mbox size, such as 10MB and more); note that if the mbox does not contain those `broken' messages with some bytes which confuse MULE (or gnus?), pressing `g' takes much less than a second (if there are no new messages). And also, in this case article numbering in group buffer reported by gnus becomes broken (commonly overestimated by 1 or 2). Lars some time ago made the following patch for files.el which "hides" the Emacs' questions "Revisit file literally?", but this patch ODES NOT SOLVE THE REAL PROBLEM: the above-mentioned symptoms are still valid; and they are TRIGGERED by the presence in the mbox of some `broken' messages (i have some examples and could send them). So, i'd be grateful to you if you could report this problem to RMS.