* Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-24 23:17 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-24 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

The `C-c C-d' buries the current Message buffer and returns to where
you were.  Should this command also rename the buffer to something
else -- like from "*reply to Blabla*" to "*unsent reply to Blabla*"?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-24 23:31 ` Chris Tessone
From: Chris Tessone @ 1998-10-24 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Lars> The `C-c C-d' buries the current Message buffer and returns
    Lars> to where you were.  Should this command also rename the
    Lars> buffer to something else -- like from "*reply to Blabla*" to
    Lars> "*unsent reply to Blabla*"?

Yes, IMHO.

--
Chris Tessone         tessone@fnal.gov         tessone@imsa.edu
PH/sendmail SNPC        System Administration        Perl/Shell

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-24 23:53 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-10-24 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> The `C-c C-d' buries the current Message buffer and returns to where
> you were.  Should this command also rename the buffer to something
> else -- like from "*reply to Blabla*" to "*unsent reply to Blabla*"?

Well, it might be worthwhile but, sent messages already indicate when
they are sent so it seems it might be redundant. If it doesn't say
`sent' you know it isn't.
--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-26 17:24 ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1998-10-26 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> The `C-c C-d' buries the current Message buffer and returns to where
> you were.  Should this command also rename the buffer to something
> else -- like from "*reply to Blabla*" to "*unsent reply to Blabla*"?

That reminds me: How do I prevent Gnus from renaming message buffers
when I send the message? :-)
I'd rather have "Sent" or something in minor-mode-alist.

--
Hallvard

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-26 21:10   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-26 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> That reminds me: How do I prevent Gnus from renaming message buffers
> when I send the message? :-)

(setq message-send-rename-function 'ignore)

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-27 12:54   ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-10-27 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Harry> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
 >> The `C-c C-d' buries the current Message buffer and returns to
 >> where you were. Should this command also rename the buffer to
 >> something else -- like from "*reply to Blabla*" to "*unsent reply
 >> to Blabla*"?

 Harry> Well, it might be worthwhile but, sent messages already
 Harry> indicate when they are sent so it seems it might be redundant.
 Harry> If it doesn't say `sent' you know it isn't.

I second this. Mostly I don't explicitly bury a message buffer, it
rather gets buried by other work (me loading files, etc.). So I would
end with buried "*reply foobar*" and "*unsent reply quuxbaz*" buffers,
the only difference being that I rememberd to do C-c C-d on quuxbaz.

OTOH, I'd like message buffers to have the same prefix (now they have
"*reply" or "*followup" and I usually can't remember which one).
Perhaps these buffers could be called "*unsent bla*" right from the
start. You can do "C-x b *unsent TAB" then to see all messages hanging
in limbo right now.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-27 16:06     ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 1998-10-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
> OTOH, I'd like message buffers to have the same prefix (now they have
> "*reply" or "*followup" and I usually can't remember which one).
> Perhaps these buffers could be called "*unsent bla*" right from the
> start. You can do "C-x b *unsent TAB" then to see all messages hanging
> in limbo right now.

I would also like all messages to have the same prefix.  I often
can't remember whether it's a "reply" or a "wide reply" or a "followup"
or just "mail".

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-28  7:27       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-28  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc@chow.mat.jhu.edu> writes:

> I would also like all messages to have the same prefix.  I often
> can't remember whether it's a "reply" or a "wide reply" or a "followup"
> or just "mail".

This makes sense, but I don't know whether it's worthwhile to change
this at this point.  People must have gotten used to the current
naming scheme by now...

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-28  9:17         ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1998-10-28  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dan Christensen <jdc@chow.mat.jhu.edu> writes:
>
> This makes sense, but I don't know whether it's worthwhile to change
> this at this point.  People must have gotten used to the current
> naming scheme by now...

But surely just because people are used to it doesn't mean that it's
right?
Since we're in a new development cycle thang it would make sense to
change it here (If anywhere ...). Perhaps have a toggle so that people
can choose which naming scheme they want?

Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-28  9:31         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-28  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dan Christensen <jdc@chow.mat.jhu.edu> writes:
>
> > I would also like all messages to have the same prefix.  I often
> > can't remember whether it's a "reply" or a "wide reply" or a "followup"
> > or just "mail".
>
> This makes sense, but I don't know whether it's worthwhile to change
> this at this point.  People must have gotten used to the current
> naming scheme by now...

I, for one, did -- I like the current naming of the buffers.  The only
thing I would like added is for the postponed buffers to be named
thusly.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-28  9:45           ` Chris Tessone
From: Chris Tessone @ 1998-10-28  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Hrvoje> I, for one, did -- I like the current naming of the
    Hrvoje> buffers.  The only thing I would like added is for the
    Hrvoje> postponed buffers to be named thusly.

Yup. Same here. I suppose that having something like:

(setq gnus-buffers-naming 'classic)
or
(setq gnus-buffers-naming 'newage)

would be okay, with the former doing the current way of naming buffers
and the latter naming them like (perhaps):

*mail to Bob (sent)*
*mail to Bob (sent wide reply)*
*mail to Bob (sent reply)*

etc.

Chris

--
But I installed the *last* dc-like program for Linux that we didn't install!

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-29 10:39           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> writes:

> But surely just because people are used to it doesn't mean that it's
> right?

If people are used to something, the gains that are made in changing
something must be substantial.  I don't think changing the naming
scheme of the Message buffers is a substantial gain.

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-29 10:51             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-29 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Tessone <tessone@imsa.edu> writes:

> Yup. Same here. I suppose that having something like:
>
> (setq gnus-buffers-naming 'classic)
> or
> (setq gnus-buffers-naming 'newage)

Ok; I've now extended message-generate-new-buffers to have `unique'
and `unsent' as values.  Defaults to the current behavior.

* Re: Postponing messages
@ 1998-10-29 10:55             ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1998-10-29 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> writes:
>
> > But surely just because people are used to it doesn't mean that it's
> > right?
>
> If people are used to something, the gains that are made in changing
> something must be substantial.

Unless the change is backwards-compatible. Ie people that have no need
to change don't, whereas new users can use the new method, as can people
who would find it more useful ...

Lee.