From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: New authinfo setup
Date: 17 Feb 1998 11:51:41 +0000	[thread overview]

Group,

Nice job on the 0.29 info section covering the new authinfo stuff.

Good examples too.

Still having a problem opening sunsite.auc.dk though

I have the emacs.ding group like so in group buffer:
 nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding  (as a foreign group)

When ever I start qgnus 0.29 (before making an .authinforc file)
I am prompted for my main nntp server user name and password and also
for a user name and password for "sunsite.auc.dk".

The prompt looks like:
NNTP (sunsite.auc.dk) user name:
NNTP (sunsite.auc.dk) password:

If I hit <RET> and <RET> repectively, gnus gets the emacs.ding postings.
So apparently defaults are all thats needed.

Now since I made an .authinforc file that looks like;

machine enews.newsguy.com login reader password xxxxxxxx
machine sunsite.auc.dk login <don't know> password <don't know>

Every thing I could think of to put in the second line for login and
password (including login anonymous password reader@newsguy.com)
Draws a "502 authentication error"

If I leave the line out, I am back to hitting <RET> at the prompts for
nntp+sunsite.auc.dk.
--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com