From: David Wuertele <dave-gnus@bfnet.com>
Subject: Re: How do I un-render HTML?
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:16:20 -0700	[thread overview]

Reiner> Without the file, it's impossible to say if it's a bug in w3m
Reiner> or Gnus or if the HTML is simply broken.

I'd post the file here if it weren't NDA-covered content.

It seems to happen when someone forwards me an email with an HTML
body.  Not every time, but very often.  Here's a common succession:

1.  "A" sends email to me with HTML in the body, it renders fine in
    w3m, I can read it fine.

2.  "B" replies to "A" and includes "A"'s original in the reply body.
    This is the mail that turns up empty in Gnus.  Usually, B's text
    is also HTML, but sometimes not.

3.  "C" replies to "B" and includes "B"'s original in the reply body
    (which happens to include "A"'s original as well).  Everything
    renders fine -- C's text, B's text, and A's HTML.

Reiner> Is it legitimate mail or spam?

Perfectly legitimate (except for the fact that the b**tards are
sending HTML emails).

Ironically, spam renders beautifully.