* Two dumb customization questions
@ 2004-05-02 17:29 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-05-02 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

1) How do I make Gnus automatically change the address in the From:
   line for all compose commands, based on which group is currently
   active?

2) How do I make BBDB ignore all messages in certain groups?

(I have looked through the manual but can't find anything relevant.)

zw

* Re: Two dumb customization questions
@ 2004-05-02 17:46 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2004-05-02 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 02 May 2004 10:29:22 -0700, Zack wrote:

> 1) How do I make Gnus automatically change the address in the From:
> line for all compose commands, based on which group is currently
> active?

Look at the section on "Posting styles" in the manual.
 <http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_139.html#SEC139>

> 2) How do I make BBDB ignore all messages in certain groups?

I'm using something like this, which someone provided me with a long
time ago; perhaps there is a better way?

 (setq gnus-select-group-hook
       '(lambda ()
          (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p
                (and
                 (string-match "^nnml:" gnus-newsgroup-name)
                 (not (or (string-match "^nnml:spam" gnus-newsgroup-name)
                          (string-match "^nnml:virus" gnus-newsgroup-name)))))))

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Och jag säger som Jennifer Lopez: Utan mina pärmar          Adam Sjøgren
  hade det blivit oordning!"                             asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Two dumb customization questions
@ 2004-05-02 17:57   ` Hiroshi Fujishima
From: Hiroshi Fujishima @ 2004-05-02 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=iso-2022-jp-2, Size: 1180 bytes --]

> > 2) How do I make BBDB ignore all messages in certain groups?

> I'm using something like this, which someone provided me with a long
> time ago; perhaps there is a better way?

>  (setq gnus-select-group-hook
>        '(lambda ()
>           (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p
>                 (and
>                  (string-match "^nnml:" gnus-newsgroup-name)
>                  (not (or (string-match "^nnml:spam" gnus-newsgroup-name)
>                           (string-match "^nnml:virus" gnus-newsgroup-name)))))))

You can use group parameters to set bbdb/news-auto-create-p variable
in certain groups.

(info "(gnus)Group Parameters")

--
Hiroshi Fujishima

* Re: Two dumb customization questions
@ 2004-05-02 19:05     ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-05-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hiroshi Fujishima <pooh@nature.tsukuba.ac.jp> writes:
>> > 2) How do I make BBDB ignore all messages in certain groups?
> You can use group parameters to set bbdb/news-auto-create-p variable
> in certain groups.

This doesn't work for BBDB variables.  The local setting takes hold in
the summary buffer, but doesn't get propagated to the article buffer,
and I think that's where BBDB is looking for it.

@ 2004-05-02 19:22   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-05-02 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On Sun, 02 May 2004 10:29:22 -0700, Zack wrote:
>
>> 1) How do I make Gnus automatically change the address in the From:
>> line for all compose commands, based on which group is currently
>> active?
>
> Look at the section on "Posting styles" in the manual.
>  <http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_139.html#SEC139>
>
>> 2) How do I make BBDB ignore all messages in certain groups?
>
> I'm using something like this, which someone provided me with a long
> time ago; perhaps there is a better way?
>
>  (setq gnus-select-group-hook
>        '(lambda ()
>           (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p
>                 (and
>                  (string-match "^nnml:" gnus-newsgroup-name)
>                  (not (or (string-match "^nnml:spam" gnus-newsgroup-name)
>                           (string-match "^nnml:virus" gnus-newsgroup-name)))))))

Thanks, these both seem to work.  Well,
bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches doesn't do what it's documented to
do, but that's much less of an issue.  (I receive a lot of mail from
one particular address that changes its alleged full name every single
time - I'd like bbdb never to record this address - still can't figure
out how to achieve that.)

@ 2004-05-02 19:43       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-02 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

>> You can use group parameters to set bbdb/news-auto-create-p variable
>> in certain groups.
>
> This doesn't work for BBDB variables.  The local setting takes hold in
> the summary buffer, but doesn't get propagated to the article buffer,
> and I think that's where BBDB is looking for it.

See variable gnus-newsgroup-variables.

Kai

* Re: Two dumb customization questions
@ 2004-05-02 21:34     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2004-05-02 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 02 May 2004 12:22:56 -0700, Zack wrote:

> Well, bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches doesn't do what it's
> documented to do, but that's much less of an issue.

I see in my configuration that I've set it to zero. Don't know why,
though.

  Best regards,

--
 "I try to make everyone's day a little more surreal"         Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Two dumb customization questions
@ 2004-05-06 13:24     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-05-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

[...]

> Thanks, these both seem to work.  Well,
> bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches doesn't do what it's documented to
> do, but that's much less of an issue.  (I receive a lot of mail from
> one particular address that changes its alleged full name every single
> time - I'd like bbdb never to record this address - still can't figure
> out how to achieve that.)

This might be a little more drastic that what you want, but I have
these settings to quiet bbdb down about lots of stuff.

  (setq bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches t)
  (setq bbdb-silent-running t)
  (setq bbdb/mail-auto-create-p nil)
  (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p nil)
  (setq bbdb-always-add-addresses 'never)