From: Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: gnus-url-mailto broken on foo+bar@somewhere.invalid
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:53:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

>> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>>> I'm wondering if the "+" -> " " substitution is bogus not just for
>>> mailto: but for all URI types.  I can't find anything in RFC 2396
>>> stating that this substitution should be performed.
>
> For mailto it's not useful, AFAICS.  See also my reply to Karl
>
>>> I guess that code should just be removed from
>>> `gnus-url-unhex-string'.
>
> This would break info links like <info://gnus/Starting+Up>.

Yes, but that notation is our own invention, I think.

Instead of introducing yet another syntax for info URL's, wouldn't it
be nicer to support the two (incompatible, *sigh* [1]) forms that are
already used elsewhere -- from url(7)

   info - Info page documentation
       info:virtual-filename
       info:virtual-filename#nodename
       info:(virtual-filename)
       info:(virtual-filename)nodename

       This scheme refers to online info reference pages (generated
       from texinfo files), a documentation format used by programs
       such as the GNU tools.  This URI scheme is unique to Unix-like
       systems (such as Linux) and is not currently registered by the
       IETF.  As of this writing, GNOME and KDE differ in their URI
       syntax and do not accept the other's syntax.  The first two
       formats are the GNOME format; in nodenames all spaces are
       written as underscores.  The second two formats are the KDE
       format; spaces in nodenames must be written as spaces, even
       though this is forbidden by the URI standards.  It's hoped that
       in the future most tools will understand all of these formats
       and will always accept underscores for spaces in nodenames.  In
       both GNOME and KDE, if the form without the nodename is used
       the nodename is assumed to be "Top".  Examples of the GNOME
       format are <info:gcc> and <info:gcc#G++_and_GCC>.  Examples of
       the KDE format are <info:(gcc)> and <info:(gcc)G++ and GCC>.

[1] Someone should write an infomational RFC about the info: scheme.