From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
Subject: Re: Can't mark negative article numbers
Date: 22 Apr 2001 13:57:34 -0400	[thread overview]

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
> * prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)  on Sat, 21 Apr 2001
> | Simple: allow marks to be set/unset on the article in the group that
> | it came from, if you're subscribed to that group.
>
> That does not address the point of Gnus marking messages in groups to which
> you are not subscribed.

I wasn't attempting to address that point; I'm not interested in doing
so.

> Given that it is not obvious what group a referred parent is from,

It's obvious to Gnus, because nnfoo-retrieve-article reports the group
that the article came from.  So then we could also make it obvious to
the user by tweaking the summary line - different colorization, or a
pseudo-mark, or something.

> that will lead to much confusion on the parts of the users
> because Gnus is silently doing two very different things.

As I see it, Gnus would always be doing the same thing: changing the
marks on the article.  It's just that marking an article with 'tick,
say, won't necesarily make that article show up the next time you
enter this summary buffer, because the article might not be in this
group.  So we could change the summary line to make it clear when this
is the case, and we could also give the user a way to say that Gnus
should pretend that this article is in this group.  Gnus would
maintain a list of "foreign articles" for each group, and fetch their
headers along with the group's articles' headers.  Assuming this was
desired; maybe people would be satisfied with the different summary
line to indicate a foreign article.  I would.

paul