* Agent readedness bug
@ 1999-08-07  0:03 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-08-07  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Local setup:
RedHat Linux 6.0 kernel-2.2.10
Emacs-20.3
Gnus-0.95

[bug report sent in]

To see this bug in action:
For a gnus that has some nntp groups under agent:

Start gnus ... use `c' (catchup) to mark all nntp  groups as read.
Press `g' to varify group readedness
Go unplugged (`J j')  Then accidently - on purpose, hit 'g'
Go plugged (`J j') hit `g'

On my end, all or nearly all nntp groups will now show hundreds of
unread messages.   Some only show tens .... seems to be only agentized
groups that show the lower numbers.  Doesn't seem to be the same
number as what is available on the server for the various groups.

* Re: Agent readedness bug
@ 1999-09-24 17:49 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-24 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Start gnus ... use `c' (catchup) to mark all nntp  groups as read.
> Press `g' to varify group readedness
> Go unplugged (`J j')  Then accidently - on purpose, hit 'g'
> Go plugged (`J j') hit `g'
>
> On my end, all or nearly all nntp groups will now show hundreds of
> unread messages.

I don't get this.  It kinda sounds like the first `g' you did didn't
result in the agent's active file getting updated.  Is that the case?

* Re: Agent readedness bug
@ 1999-09-24 22:11   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-24 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Start gnus ... use `c' (catchup) to mark all nntp  groups as read.
> > Press `g' to varify group readedness
> > Go unplugged (`J j')  Then accidently - on purpose, hit 'g'
> > Go plugged (`J j') hit `g'
> >
> > On my end, all or nearly all nntp groups will now show hundreds of
> > unread messages.
>
> I don't get this.  It kinda sounds like the first `g' you did didn't
> result in the agent's active file getting updated.  Is that the case?

That was it  yes.  I discovered why this was happening when I started
using some functions you posted a while back telling how to start 2
gnus, one off-line, one on-line.  The interplay between the two
depends on the active file being read by both.   So changing that
setting from nil  fixed both.