* Finding all score files . . .
@ 1998-03-16 15:38 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-16 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

First let me thank every one for the tips and gentle reminders to RTFM
in he previous thread on down scoring.

I guess I counted myself in the group Lars graciously calls "Casual users"
  >  Casual users are not expected to edit these files;
  > everything can be changed from the summary buffer.

Only problem, I went a step farther and didn't read the section either....

On another subject:  Lets see if I have this much right:

It is necessary to run gnus with long file names set to nil if you want
to use gnus-agent stuff off-line.  This is not yet fixed to where you
can run gnus in long file name 't' and still use agent successfully.

If I am right about the above then a certain problem arises when, gnus
is freshly started and you open the first group.  Gnus shows a message
"Findin all score files . . . " and with the ridiculously deeply layered
file structure produced in no-long-file-name mode, it can be quite
a wait while gnus ruffles the HDD looking for the score files.

I have seen as long as 15 to 20 seconds (sounds short here but seems
long when you are bringing up a group)

Is there a path to the search gnus follows for this?  Could a user maybe
put symlinks to the score files in the first directory searched and have
a variable where you could tell gnus to search no further. (or something
similar)

Or better yet have gnus put all score files in one SCORE directory and
the first line of each file would tell gnus what group it went with.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Finding all score files . . .
@ 1998-03-19 13:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-19 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Or better yet have gnus put all score files in one SCORE directory and
> the first line of each file would tell gnus what group it went with.

Use long score file names.

* Re: Finding all score files . . .
@ 1998-03-21 16:39   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Or better yet have gnus put all score files in one SCORE directory and
> > the first line of each file would tell gnus what group it went with.
>
> Use long score file names.

Won't using long file name stop Agent from working correctly on foreign
groups?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-23 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > Or better yet have gnus put all score files in one SCORE directory and
> > > the first line of each file would tell gnus what group it went with.
> >
> > Use long score file names.
>
> Won't using long file name stop Agent from working correctly on foreign
> groups?

Long score file names is an orthogonal property to using long mail
backend file names.

* Re: Finding all score files . . .
@ 1998-03-24  2:16       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-24  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > Use long score file names.
> >
> > Won't using long file name stop Agent from working correctly on foreign
> > groups?
>
> Long score file names is an orthogonal property to using long mail
> backend file names.

Well, after looking into this a bit I find the term 'orthogonal
property' apperantly means nothing more than the common term
'independent of' .  If this is true.  How does it work?
My group names are of the unix style.  I understood this is necessary
for agent to be able to access them offline.  Consequently the long file
naem variable is set to 'nil'

Now, when I make a score file in the normal way of 'I'  etc.  A score
file is generated also in the unix style since I have the long file name
variable set to 'nil'.  So how do I save score files in a different file
or different style of file?

Is this covered in Info   somewhere.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-24 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Consequently the long file naem variable is set to 'nil'

It's not "the" variable; there are two of them -- one for Gnus, and
one for the backends.

> Is this covered in Info   somewhere.

Yes.