* No "unplugged"
@ 1998-02-24 13:41 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-02-24 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Following the outline in manual as to how to start gnus and get plugged
or unplugged etc.  I am unable to get unplugged and do any thing.

>From previos messages posted here I have this in .gnus

 >     (gnus-agentize))

And this in .emacs:

 >  (autoload 'gnus-unplugged "gnus-agent" nil t)  >

Still, starting gnus with M-x gnus-unplugged or even running M-x
load-library <RET> gnus-agent <RET> then M-x gnus-unplugged, either way
the same error occurs:

 > Wrong type argument: stringp, nnagent-active-file

This happens whether or not I am actually on line.

The back trace is quite long so didn't include it.  I did select which
servers for "agent" to operate on (mine and sunsite.auc.dk and nnml:drafts)

It seems the only way I can start gnus is the regular way, M-x gnus <RET>.

Once gnus comes up, I can see "plugged" on the mode line and am able to
do normal things.

So, tried J j (unplugged) from there-- the mode line changes to 'unplugged'

But any attempt to access an nntp group (nnml is ok) gives this message:
  > Couldn't open server

I suspect some of the problem may be an attempt I made to set up the "agent
catagories" with out nowing how.  Now when I attempt to access that
buffer with 'J c', this error comes up:

 > wrong-type-argument sequencep non-nil

And this back trace:

 > Signaling: (wrong-type-argument sequencep non-nil)
 >   gnus-category-insert-line((spam true nil non-nil))
 >   gnus-category-prepare()
 >   gnus-enter-category-buffer()
 > * call-interactively(gnus-enter-category-buffer)

It seems most, on this list, are running agent effortlessly so am
assuming my cobbling is responsible.

I hope some one will contact me privately with an outline of how getting
agent to run works, that is a little more detailed than the manual.

The problems and ideas under discussion here seem at much higher level
than the basic problems I am having so would like to get some help
privately so as not to continue posting 'Howto' problems here.

The 'catagories' thing seems quite a mystery.
But can't I just run on defaults or something to see how it all is
supposed to work?

Is there a way to reset the default catagories?

* Re: No "unplugged"
@ 1998-03-06 16:03 ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-03-06 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Following the outline in manual as to how to start gnus and get plugged
> or unplugged etc.  I am unable to get unplugged and do any thing.
>
> >From previos messages posted here I have this in .gnus
>
>  >     (gnus-agentize))
>  >

> And this in .emacs:
>
>  >  (autoload 'gnus-unplugged "gnus-agent" nil t)  >
>  >
> Still, starting gnus with M-x gnus-unplugged or even running M-x
> load-library <RET> gnus-agent <RET> then M-x gnus-unplugged, either way
> the same error occurs:
>
>  > Wrong type argument: stringp, nnagent-active-file

Have you succeeded in getting this to work? I just tried starting
gnus-unplugged for the first time and it works for me, but I used:

(load-library '"gnus-agent")

in my .emacs file and then

M-x gnus-unplugged.

If you ever manage to get Qgnus to work unplugged for a foreign server
please let me know.

Eze Ogwuma

* Re: No "unplugged"
@ 1998-03-07 13:32   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-07 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:

> >  > Wrong type argument: stringp, nnagent-active-file
>
> Have you succeeded in getting this to work?

No.  It would seem to me to be a problem in the nnoo code.