* Re: when one has a list of 35 groups one wants to subscribe to
@ 2010-10-24 16:58 JJ
From: JJ @ 2010-10-24 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Kan-Ru Chen <kanru@kanru.info> writes:

> Some elisp-fu might help.
>
> (let ((list-of-newsgroup '("gmane.announce"
>                            "gmane.emacs.devel"
>                            "gmane.emacs.gnus.general"
>                            ; ... 32 more
>                            )))
>   (dolist (new-list list-of-newsgroup)
>     (gnus-subscribe-newsgroup new-list)))

I'm often faced with a similar task with RSS feeds, i.e. having tens of
these that I want to resubscribe to automatically. What would be the
syntax for RSS feeds, since Gnus asks for three entries when subscribing
to an RSS feed via `G R':
`URL to Search for RSS'
`Title'
and
`Description'

So for instance:
http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/GlobalHome.xml
NY Times Global
Funny newspaper

and this 35 times...
--
JJ

@ 2010-10-24 17:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-24 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

"JJ" <ding_gnus.org@sumou.com> writes:

> I'm often faced with a similar task with RSS feeds, i.e. having tens of
> these that I want to resubscribe to automatically. What would be the
> syntax for RSS feeds, since Gnus asks for three entries when subscribing
> to an RSS feed via `G R':
> `URL to Search for RSS'
> `Title'
> and
> `Description'

Unfortunately, `gnus-group-make-rss-group' doesn't take the parameters
as, er, parameters, but assumes that they're entered from the
minibuffer.  But I think you could probably hack around that easily --
just take a look at the function and plug in your data where needed.

> So for instance:
> http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/GlobalHome.xml
> NY Times Global
> Funny newspaper
>
> and this 35 times...

http://gwene.org   :-)

* Re: when one has a list of 35 groups one wants to subscribe to
@ 2010-10-22 17:50     ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-10-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: tassilo, ding

j> It is not as simple as
j> $ < list_of_groups xargs -n 1 other_leading_brand_newsreader --subscribe

What I did was to have a script generate a file full of lisp such as:

(gnus-subscribe-group "nnimap+l:Bugs/Debian/atjtimex")

and use M-x load-file to run it.

It would not be difficult to write a script which matches the api you
show above to create such an elisp file.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

@ 2010-10-22 10:41             ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-10-22 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kanru; +Cc: ding

KC> Some elisp-fu might help.

KC> (let ((list-of-newsgroup '("gmane.announce"
KC>                            "gmane.emacs.devel"
KC>                            "gmane.emacs.gnus.general"
KC>                            ; ... 32 more
KC>                            )))
KC>   (dolist (new-list list-of-newsgroup)
KC>     (gnus-subscribe-newsgroup new-list)))

Maybe that should be put into the manual.

(It's to late for me to test. I did them all by hand already.)

* Re: when one has a list of 35 groups one wants to subscribe to
@ 2010-10-22 10:15           ` Kan-Ru Chen
From: Kan-Ru Chen @ 2010-10-22 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2010-10-22  9:17         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-10-22  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

TH> Do you know `isearch' (C-s)?

> 35 times?!

`M-x occur' is nice, if the groups have names that can be matched with a
regexp.

* Re: when one has a list of 35 groups one wants to subscribe to
@ 2010-10-22  7:28         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-10-22  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

@ 2010-10-22  7:11       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-10-22  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tassilo; +Cc: ding

TH> Do you know `isearch' (C-s)?

35 times?!

* Re: when one has a list of 35 groups one wants to subscribe to
@ 2010-10-22  7:06     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-10-22  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> TH> When I want to subscribe to many groups, I enter that server via the
> TH> *Server* buffer so that I can see the complete group listing and use
> TH> isearch to find my groups.  So I guess, a link to the server buffer
> TH> would be a good thing to have in that section.  (I'll add one...)
>
> But there are a million groups in there. And my 35 groups are probably
> scattered among them, so I would still have to find them one by one.

Do you know `isearch' (C-s)?

> But I already have my list, one group per line, ready. But there is no
> way for me to submit it to gnus. It is not as simple as
> $ < list_of_groups xargs -n 1 other_leading_brand_newsreader --subscribe

Well, yes, I think there's nothing like that.  But since that's only a
one time effort unless you change your interests on a daily basis... :-)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: when one has a list of 35 groups one wants to subscribe to
@ 2010-10-22  6:55   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-10-22  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tassilo; +Cc: ding

@ 2010-10-22  6:47 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-10-22  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> (info "(gnus) Subscription Commands") should mention what to do when
> one has a list of 35 groups one wants to subscribe to.
>
> All we can find out is we must manually add each one by hand.
>
> One might think oh just put them into .newsrc and have it reread that.

I wouldn't have come to that idea. :-)

@ 2010-10-22  3:54 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-10-22  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

(info "(gnus) Subscription Commands") should mention what to do when one
has a list of 35 groups one wants to subscribe to.

All we can find out is we must manually add each one by hand.

One might think oh just put them into .newsrc and have it reread that.
Reading (info "(gnus) Startup Files"), that might work on a fresh gnus
but we have turned off and removed .newsrc long ago and rereading it
would surely destroy our other groups. Nope, none of (info "(gnus) New
Groups") is right either, as that has nothing to do with our list of 35
groups.