From: Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk>
Subject: Re: Adding :link '(custom-manual ...) in defcustom
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:01:51 +0100	[thread overview]

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 28 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that this is really a good idea.
>>
>> It's probably nice when you use `customize-option', but it makes
>> `customize-group' awfully cluttered with a lot of identical and
>> redundant links.
>
> `M-x customize-group RET gnus-article-treat RET' ;-)

Exactly!

> I'm now aware of a policy when to add them and when not.  Any
> pointers? [1] And I couldn't see any usage pattern.

The following isn't quite how Custom currently works, but it might be
a solution:

  You can currently add a link in `defgroup'.  If the link in
  `defcustom' would be same as in the group it can be omitted -- it
  ought to be enough to list the same link just once per group.

  If `customize-option' was changed to grab links from the parent
  group of the option, then we wouldn't need to add links to
  individual options (unless the link is different from the group's).