* uudecode/ydecode troubles
@ 2003-01-10 12:44 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-01-10 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some issues with the current CVS gnus.

1. uuencode doesn't give the least hint that there is uuencoded stuff in
   the article. The uuencode section is hidden without buttons or marker
   lines. Relevant file from nnml spool attached. uudecode is tried
   without the user's doing, so the I-Love-You-Signature stuff can fool
   Gnus. http://piology.org/ILOVEYOU-Signature-FAQ.html

2. yenc automatically decodes without asking, and falls prey to the same
   problem.

Workaround: add (for instance) "(yenc . disabled)" to
mm-uu-configure-list.

Fix: NEVER automatically decode inlined encodings such as uuencode or
yenc, ALWAYS wait until the user presses Ctrl-D or uses some extract
function.

This is one of the few points where Gnus really screws up in its default
configuration.

--
Matthias Andree

[-- Attachment #2: file that doesn't show any uuencode buttons in CVS Gnus --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 974 bytes --]

From: Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To: emma+testgnus@localhost.emma.line.org
Subject: test
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:32:37 +0100

blah

--
Matthias Andree
leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/

* Re: uudecode/ydecode troubles
@ 2003-01-10 22:25 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-10 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> 1. uuencode doesn't give the least hint that there is uuencoded stuff in
>    the article. The uuencode section is hidden without buttons or marker
>    lines. Relevant file from nnml spool attached. uudecode is tried
>    without the user's doing, so the I-Love-You-Signature stuff can fool
>    Gnus. http://piology.org/ILOVEYOU-Signature-FAQ.html

When I hit C-u g on your msg, I see no uuencoded stuff anywhere.

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: uudecode/ydecode troubles
@ 2003-01-11 14:44   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-01-11 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
>> 1. uuencode doesn't give the least hint that there is uuencoded stuff in
>>    the article. The uuencode section is hidden without buttons or marker
>>    lines. Relevant file from nnml spool attached. uudecode is tried
>>    without the user's doing, so the I-Love-You-Signature stuff can fool
>>    Gnus. http://piology.org/ILOVEYOU-Signature-FAQ.html
>
> When I hit C-u g on your msg, I see no uuencoded stuff anywhere.

Wow. I used attach-file and manually changed the type to be
message/rfc822 (Gnus decided application/octet-stream).

Look as though Gnus decoded the thing without asking when I included
that file. I'm inlining the same file, read with C-x i and then
protected with regexp-replace ^ by "| ", rather than Attach File menu or
C-c RET f.

What the heck...?

I ask that all this automatic en- or decoding, binhex, uuencode, yenc
and all the other unstructured crap be totally disabled by default
unless it's MIME and has Content-Disposition: inline headers. There are
appropriate options in the Article menu when reading, no need to do any magic.

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: uudecode/ydecode troubles
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-11 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I ask that all this automatic en- or decoding, binhex, uuencode, yenc
> and all the other unstructured crap be totally disabled by default
> unless it's MIME and has Content-Disposition: inline headers.

That's not very user friendly.

I've now added the variable `gnus-article-emulate-mime' to allow this
to be switched off.

* Re: uudecode/ydecode troubles
@ 2003-01-12 12:49       ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-01-12 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've now added the variable `gnus-article-emulate-mime' to allow this
> to be switched off.

Thanks.

--
Matthias Andree