* Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-27 12:57 Oscar Figueiredo
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Oscar Figueiredo @ 1999-10-27 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to know what's the preferred way of signing messages nowadays: PGP
or S/MIME (i.e. RFC 2015 or 2646) ?

I'm asking because I just had an argument with a M*crosoft Outlook user who
claimed the body of my messages appear as attachments instead of inline and I
should therefore use S/MIME instead of PGP signatures because it was the
preferred way to sign a message.

Not that I agree with him since both signature types are standards track RFCs,
but does pGnus have some support for PGP or S/MIME of any kind (I haven't been
using pGnus for a long time) ?

Oscar

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 261 bytes --]

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-27 14:26 ` Alan Shutko
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Alan Shutko @ 1999-10-27 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Oscar Figueiredo <Oscar.Figueiredo@di.epfl.ch> writes:

> should therefore use S/MIME instead of PGP signatures because it was the
> preferred way to sign a message.

Correction: "His mailreader's preferred way to read signed messages."

Hedonist for hire... no job too easy!

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-27 15:51 ` Hrvoje Niksic
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-10-27 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oscar Figueiredo <Oscar.Figueiredo@di.epfl.ch> writes:

> I would like to know what's the preferred way of signing messages
> nowadays: PGP or S/MIME (i.e. RFC 2015 or 2646) ?

FWIW, your messages are neither rfc2015 nor S/MIME.  (And I don't see
what either has to do with rfc2646.)

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-27 16:49   ` Oscar Figueiredo
From: Oscar Figueiredo @ 1999-10-27 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hrvoje> FWIW, your messages are neither rfc2015 nor S/MIME.  (And I don't see
  Hrvoje> what either has to do with rfc2646.)

Sorry, I meant RFC2633 (S/MIME) not 2646 (text/plain).

Why are my messages not RFC2015 compliant ?  Last time I checked they looked
so.  Which requirement is missing ?

@ 1999-10-28  1:02 ` John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 1999-10-28  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi

 Oscar> I would like to know what's the preferred way of signing
 Oscar> messages nowadays: PGP or S/MIME

Of course, the preferred way is not to sign, as most email is sent
that way. I know the email clients attached to the big 2 browsers have
SMIME support [Outlook/Outlook Express & Netscape Messenger]. And at
one time many moons ago, I played with a PGP plug-in for Eudora.

PGP support is present with Mailcrypt, but I don't think there is an
SMIME component for any emacs based mail readers [at least none have
come my way]. Way down on my list of projects would be to write a lisp
shell that would use OpenSSL to do the crypto stuff to make an SMIME
mail reader for emacs. But it's just sitting there in my queue along
with the "next great american novel".

Does anyone know anything else about this?

--
\js

I want you to MEMORIZE the collected poems of EDNA ST VINCENT MILLAY..
 BACKWARDS!!

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-28  1:38   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1999-10-28  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Saylor <jsaylor@mediaone.net> writes:

> I want you to MEMORIZE the collected poems of EDNA ST VINCENT MILLAY..
>  BACKWARDS!!

Hmm.  Perhaps this is why she ended up in an asylum.

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-28  2:02 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-10-28  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-28  2:42   ` John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 1999-10-28  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)

Hi

 Rat> "Benefits" of using the MIME formats:

 Rat> * Messages are potentially vulnerable to "whitespace corruption"
 Rat> by MTAs that either add or remove whitespace, causing an
 Rat> otherwise valid message not to pass a signature check.

I have never heard of this [but I don't stay up to date on MTA
technology]. Does this kind of thing happen often? Which MTAs are
known to exhibit this behavior?

 Rat> * In general, attachments suck.

Well, maybe, but they can be useful. If idiots use email for file
transfer, I'd rather have an attachment than an inline document.

--
\js

It's today's SPECIAL!

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-28  3:42     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-10-28  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.

@ 1999-10-28  7:38   ` Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 1999-10-28  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Oct 1999 21:02:22 -0400 John Saylor <jsaylor@mediaone.net> writes:
> Hi

>  Oscar> I would like to know what's the preferred way of signing
>  Oscar> messages nowadays: PGP or S/MIME
>
> Of course, the preferred way is not to sign, as most email is sent
> that way. I know the email clients attached to the big 2 browsers have
> SMIME support [Outlook/Outlook Express & Netscape Messenger]. And at
> one time many moons ago, I played with a PGP plug-in for Eudora.
>
> [..]
>
> Does anyone know anything else about this?

Yes, PGP 5 came with a fine plugin for Outlook as well.

Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn these bridges down

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-28 10:05     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-10-28 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oscar Figueiredo <Oscar.Figueiredo@di.epfl.ch> writes:

> Why are my messages not RFC2015 compliant ?

My apologies; after closer inspection, your messages do seem to be
rfc2015 compliant.  It's just Gnus that doesn't handle
multipart/signed properly.

But then again, wouldn't it be nice if I could at least tell Gnus
that, when faced with a multipart/signed thingy, it ignores the second
part?

mm-* hackers?  Anyone?

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-28 10:49       ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1999-10-28 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-28 10:52         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-10-28 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>
> > My apologies; after closer inspection, your messages do seem to be
> > rfc2015 compliant.  It's just Gnus that doesn't handle
> > multipart/signed properly.
>
> Is it gnus, or Mailcrypt which does not handle it properly?

Gnus shows "application/octet-stream" attachments in Oscar's mails.  I
shouldn't see those.

I don't use mailcrypt.

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-28 11:51           ` David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 1999-10-28 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> >
> > > My apologies; after closer inspection, your messages do seem to be
> > > rfc2015 compliant.  It's just Gnus that doesn't handle
> > > multipart/signed properly.
> >
> > Is it gnus, or Mailcrypt which does not handle it properly?
>
> Gnus shows "application/octet-stream" attachments in Oscar's mails.  I
> shouldn't see those.

No, you should see them as application/pgp-signature.  That's how it's
declared in the mail.  But I guess you didn't want to see that
either...

--
David Kågedal

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-28 11:58             ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-10-28 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

davidk@lysator.liu.se (David Kågedal) writes:

> > Gnus shows "application/octet-stream" attachments in Oscar's mails.  I
> > shouldn't see those.
>
> No, you should see them as application/pgp-signature.

Sorry, that's what I meant to write.

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-29  6:32     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-10-29  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje> FWIW, your messages are neither rfc2015 nor S/MIME.  (And I don't see
Hrvoje> what either has to do with rfc2646.)

> Sorry, I meant RFC2633 (S/MIME) not 2646 (text/plain).

For easy reference:
        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2015.txt
        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2633.txt
        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-29 12:17       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-10-29 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> Hrvoje> FWIW, your messages are neither rfc2015 nor S/MIME.  (And I don't see
> Hrvoje> what either has to do with rfc2646.)
>
> > Sorry, I meant RFC2633 (S/MIME) not 2646 (text/plain).
>
> For easy reference:
>         http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2015.txt
>         http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2633.txt
>         http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt

RFC-junkies like me might like this, it makes Gnus highlight
RFC-looking references and retrieve the document for me.

(defvar gnus-rfc-directory (list (concat (getenv "HOME") "/rfc/")
				 "/afs/stacken.kth.se/ftp/pub/rfc/"
				 "/ftp@ftp.stacken.kth.se:/pub/rfc/"))

(defun gnus-button-embedded-rfc (file)
  (if (string-match "\\([0-9]+\\)" file)
      (let ((dir gnus-rfc-directory)
	    (file (concat "rfc" (match-string 1 file) ".txt")))
	(while (and dir (not (file-readable-p (concat (car dir) file))))
	  (pop dir))
	(find-file (concat (car dir) file)))))

(push '("\\bRFC\\(-\\| \\)?[0-9]+\\(.txt\\|.doc\\)?" 0 t gnus-button-embedded-rfc 0) gnus-button-alist)

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-10-29 15:21         ` Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 1999-10-29 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

or (require 'ffap), which can follow RFC names in any buffer (though
it does not buttonize them).

--
Eric Marsden
It's elephants all the way down

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-30  6:41 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-10-30  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oscar Figueiredo <Oscar.Figueiredo@di.epfl.ch> writes:

> I would like to know what's the preferred way of signing messages
> nowadays: PGP or S/MIME (i.e. RFC 2015 or 2646) ?

AFAIK, S/MIME uses a X.509 certification hierarchy.  Quite a few people
consider PGP's `web of trust' much more practical than a strict tree-like
hierarchy with a few root certification authorities.

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-11-01  3:46   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-11-01  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> AFAIK, S/MIME uses a X.509 certification hierarchy.  Quite a few
> people consider PGP's `web of trust' much more practical than a
> strict tree-like hierarchy with a few root certification
> authorities.

There's nothing in any S/MIME implementation I've seen that prevents
anyone from exchanging their own, locally generated, certs without
benefit of verisign or any other authority. I'm one of those who
considers the web of trust model not only more practical, but also
more secure than the hierarchy for certain applications, personal
communication being one of them (I trust my friends to tell me someone
is legit before I trust verisign to do so) but once I have that trust,
there's no reason I can't use S/MIME to handle the encryption part.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Signature/encryption, what's the standard ?
@ 1999-11-07  0:07       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> But then again, wouldn't it be nice if I could at least tell Gnus
> that, when faced with a multipart/signed thingy, it ignores the second
> part?
>
> mm-* hackers?  Anyone?

I've now made application/pgp-signature be displayed inline with
`ignore' as the viewer.  Which makes them disappear altogether, of
course.