* That Pringles thing
@ 1999-05-13 11:13 Thomas Skogestad
From: Thomas Skogestad @ 1999-05-13 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to POP! But I can't even start.

I tried updrading to a newer pgnus -- 0.83 (I also tried 0.84, same
things happen.)

But, alas, my POP mail was not read.

So I poked around in the manual, and I found this:

(setq mail-sources
      '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/user-name")
        (pop :server "pop3.mail.server"
             :user "user-name"
             :port "pop3"
             :password "secret")))

So I tried modifying the example values... But still, nothing
happens. Gnus is _not_ getting any mail.

And if I don't remove

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "private")))

I get the following error message: «Error, unknown file format! (Possibly
corrupted.)

And also: old mail is not displayed.
If I try to enter a mail group, I just get «Trying to request a method
that doesn't exist».

--
thomas.skogestad@jusstud.uio.no
http://home.att.net/~krosnoff/kr00041.htm

* Re: That Pringles thing
@ 1999-05-13 12:31 ` John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 1999-05-13 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

 TS> I want to POP! But I can't even start.  I tried updrading to a
 TS> newer pgnus -- 0.83 (I also tried 0.84, same things happen.)

Well IMAP is much better anyway [although configuring nnimap is no walk
in the park either].

But I had a similar problem. Then I RTFM and saw this:
[excerpted]
`pop'
     Get mail from a POP server.

    `:program'
          The program to use to fetch mail from the POP server.  This
          is should be a `format'-like string.  Here's an example:

               fetchmail %u@%s -P %p %t

          The valid format specifier characters are:

         `t'
               The name of the file the mail is to be moved to.  This
               must always be included in this string.

         `s'
               The name of the server.

         `P'
               The port number of the server.

         `u'
               The user name to use.

         `p'
               The password to use.

          The values used for these specs are taken from the values you
          give the corresponding keywords.

    `:function'
          The function to use to fetch mail from the POP server.  The
          function is called with one parameter--the name of the file
          where the mail should be moved to.

[and this is the important part]

     If the `:program' and `:function' keywords aren't specified,
     `pop3-movemail' will be used.

So, my guess is that these two parameters aren't configured
correctly. I ended up bailing on the movemail supplied with [x]emacs
and went to fetchmail and dumped everything in my local spool and am
happy.

Maybe that will work for you too.

--
\js

"It's ten o'clock... Do you know where your AI programs are?"  -- Peter Oakley

* Re: That Pringles thing
@ 1999-05-13 13:55   ` Thomas Skogestad
From: Thomas Skogestad @ 1999-05-13 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

* John Saylor

|      If the `:program' and `:function' keywords aren't specified,
|      `pop3-movemail' will be used.
|

| So, my guess is that these two parameters aren't configured
| correctly.

Doesn't change anything, no matter what I say. In fact, I can set any
:variable to anything, :server could be foo.bar and Gnus won't balk at
it. Under 0.72 I get a buffer called trace of POP session to <POP
server> which contains things such as

+OK QPOP (version 2.53-krb-IV) at <POP server> starting.
<27530.926602997@munkholm>

+OK Password required for <user>.

+OK <user> has 1 message (1643 octets).

+OK 1 1643

+OK 1643 octets

..

+OK Message 1 has been deleted.

+OK Pop server at munkholm signing off.

There is nothing like this in the newer pgnusia.

--

@ 1999-05-13 14:56   ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-05-13 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

--