* Summary scoring commands/a puzzle
@ 1998-03-11 13:32 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-11 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I may have committed some sort of 'faux-paux' here by posting this here
and to gnu.emacs.gnu

I believe gnus Info needs some further explanation in this area.  And
would like to offer some of the contents here as a beginning.  Hopefully
some one who is not iliterate like I am, will step forward to do it.
But if not, I will do my damndest with the help of other contributions
and emacs,ccc to get this, and what ever contributions others want to send
into a much briefer and clearer expostition of using the summary scoring
commands.

Lengthy and detailed -- please bear with me.

Having spent ungodly amounts of time trying to understand and utilize
the scoring commands available in Summary mode.  I have learned to use
some of them but am still quite confused about others.

Firstly, some confusing terms used seem to  make it much harder to
figure out what is expected at the different prompts.

When doing a simple 'I'or 'L' the prompt offered says
'Increase/Decrease Header: (asbhitxldfT?):'

Clear enough what to do here and if you don't know what the letters mean
there is the handy (?) you can press to find out.(very nice) Now it
begins to get more interesting.

Author and subject, message-ID, refererences  all make
good sense, after all, just like the prompt says, they are 'headers'.
But 'h'=head and 'b'=body do not make sense because they are not
'headers'.  What part of a header is the body or the head.

So at this point you must ignore what the prompt is asking for and
strike out on your own.  It turns out,'h= 'head' means all the headers
instead of the 'head' of a 'header' and b=body means the text body of
message.  Neither of them are called 'headers'.

Using the terms 'all headers' and 'message body'or similar would be a
lot clearer than 'Head' and 'body'.  But maybe only dim wits like yours
truly, stumble over these things, so moving on:

We choose 'h' and then see "Increase header 'head' with match type (zp?):"
[ED z=substring p=regexp string]

So we are being shown our choices so far and asked to make another one.
[ED NOTE:  Those handy question marks (?) appear throughout]

Now you might think that you need to put the string, in which ever format
you pick, but not so.  You just pick which one you want to search with
and Gnus will convert it nicely for you.

We chose 'p':
We now see the prompt 'Increase permanence (tpi?):'
[ED temp perm and immediate]

Either 't' or 'p' will work at this point  'i' will not work, if it is
choosen the scoring will fail.

NOTE: It would seem that choosing 'i' would let you run the scoring
without putting it in your .SCORE file, but apperantly it does not.

We choose 'p':

Prompt now says: "Match permanent on head, raise:"

This might be taken as a question of how much to raise what you are
going to choose.  But no, it is asking for a 'header string' ie. To:,
From:, or any of the header lines.

We insert:  To: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>

And sure as water runs downhill, articles with that header are increased
by the default 1000. (assuming there is nothing in score file to the
contrary)

NOTE:  If you want a different amount you must prefix C-u <number>
before pressing the initial 'I'.

Notes and questions:

What role does the 'i' in (tpi?) play?

How can a scoring session be run with out putting it in a score file,
using the summary commmands?

In other words I want to run a scoring session that ignores my SCORE
file.

I can see how to do this by jerking around the files themselves
but not by simply by-passing.

'V c' and 'V f' will clearly allow using a 'doctored' score file, but is
there no way to just score a one time scoring with out using your
existing score file or any others?

I think the 'V a' command may answer this, but have not figured out how
to use it yet.

Using 'V a'
Header: <h> or <head> <RET>

Match: <string> <RET>

Use regexp match? (y or n) <y>

Add to score file?  (y or n): <y>

NOTE: IF 'n' is chosen here, no scoring is done

Expire Kill? (y or n) <no>

NOTE: Either a 'y' or an 'n'  will have the same result here

Scoring is done immediately and new entry is added to score file.

Questions:

What is supposed to happen at the prompt that says:
"Add to score file?  (y or n):"

Is 'n' just a way to cancel out?  Don't we have C-g for that?
Either chosing 'n' or doing C-g have identical results.

What is supposed to happen at the prompt that says:
"Expire Kill? (y or n)"
Either choice has identical results.  The scoring is done and thats it.

thanks for hanging in there
--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Summary scoring commands/a puzzle
@ 1998-03-12 17:52   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-12 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nils Goesche <ngo@wossolit.teles.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Indeed, the documentation for scoring in summary buffer could be clearer. I
> found it disencouraging because I didn't even see why I would want to score
> an article anyway. Of course, there are subjects and authors that interest
> me more than others, but exactly what would scoring an article help? I have
> read some article and likely won't read it again :) I would be glad if
> someone would be so kind and explain to me, why I would want to score
> articles after all, so I can start again reading the documentation :)

People have different uses for Usenet.  I am new to all this so want to
soak up as much info as possible.

Certain authors in the Emacs groups have posted lots of really useful
info.  I go back to those postings repeatedly.

Here is one example of how to use scoring:
I have set several authors to be scored up, now when the nntp posting
arrive those authors are scored at 1000.  I read thru the new postings.
Whatever looks interesting.  When done I run the limited view command
like so:

'C-u 1000 / v'  This will show a view of only those messages scored at
1000.  Now I will 'tick' them all so they stay on my HDD.   When I get
lost using emacs or gnus I can call up all those ticked articles and
search them for answers.

Heres another example:  Lets say I want to know more about a dired
function than I am finding in the manual -- in this case dired-do-search
and replace

Go to comp.emacs Do 'C-u <enter>' this calls up all articles from server
plus what ever I have ticked maybe 6-7 hundred in all.

Using the scoring commands -- (score on body) I can send gnus through
all 6-7 hundred messages looking for a regular expression of my choosing.

Something like  dired-do-.*search.*replace.*$  <== this tells gnus to
find every instance in all articles where someone has mentioned
"dired-do" "search" "replace" but only if they are all on the same line,
and give it a score I determined.

NOTE:  There are probably more elegant expressions but as mentioned I am
just learning to use them.

Once this is done, I can limit the view to that score and study the
postings that contain the information I want.

A combination of scoring and limiting the view is a technique with many uses.

--

@ 1998-03-12 21:37 ` Nils Goesche
From: Nils Goesche @ 1998-03-12 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi!

Indeed, the documentation for scoring in summary buffer could be clearer. I
found it disencouraging because I didn't even see why I would want to score
an article anyway. Of course, there are subjects and authors that interest
me more than others, but exactly what would scoring an article help? I have
read some article and likely won't read it again :) I would be glad if
someone would be so kind and explain to me, why I would want to score
articles after all, so I can start again reading the documentation :)

--
Nils Gösche
My obscure opinions are my very own.